Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis)

4 posters

Go down

Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) Empty Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis)

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:58 am

Hi, everybody!

This is a hornbeam I collected in 2006 near Sochi after generations of sheep grazed on it. Smile) It was was very little I had to do on top of it.
Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) 1-200610

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) Empty Re: Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis)

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am

The first post-sheep styling of a bushy something.... Where is the front?
Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) 2-200610
Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) 3-200610

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) Empty Re: Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis)

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 am

I was too impatient to make it look like a bonsai. Hence, repoting into a bonsai pot the same season. There is a bulb under the soil level that is impossible to cut, so the height of the pot tried to accomodate it. The question remains - where is the front? ...
Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) 4-200610
Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) 5-200610

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  rolandp Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:16 am

Hi Andrei, nice tree

From what I can see, I think that the nebari looks better on second picture, the same goes for the trunk. If the tree would be mine I would take the second picture as the front.

Than I would work on the branches in the lower section of the tree, especially on the left side to make the movement of the trunk more visible.

regards, roland

Last edited by rolandp on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
rolandp
rolandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:17 am

In the followign years I concentrated on branching, jinning and repotting in a flatter pot. That was the final choice of the front that seemed more dynamic. Tilting the tree to a viewer to accomodate the new front allowed to make the underground bulb parallel to the bottom of the pot. Ramification is still sort of weak though....
Oriental hornbeam (Carpinus orientalis) 10-20110

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 am

rolandp wrote:Hi Andrei, nice tree

From what I can see, I think that the nebari looks better on second picture, the same goes for the trunk. If the tree would me mine I would take the second picture as the front.

Than I would work on the branches in the lower section of the tree, especially on the left side to make the movement of the trunk more visible.

regards, roland

Roland, thanks! As you can see my thinking went in the same direction! Smile

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Marija Hajdic Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:00 pm

I like tree very much, excellent moving!
Marija Hajdic
Marija Hajdic

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:19 pm

I think it looks more powerful in the original planting. The wide pot gives it a "maple" look.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:10 am

Marija Hajdic wrote:I like tree very much, excellent moving!

Marija, many thanks!

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:17 am

Peter E. wrote:I think it looks more powerful in the original planting. The wide pot gives it a "maple" look.

Peter, thanks for your comments. I agree that earlier the tree looked more powerfull. However, it seems to me that these two trunks are too interesting, they have too much movement to push them into a "powerfull" image that would hide much of this interest. In addition, I'm not sure that I feel a critical difference between a "maple" look and a "hornbeam" look. Also, to get adequate ramification in a more compact design would be next to impossible...

Best,

Andrei

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down