Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lesser of two evils...

+3
Joe Hatfield
JimLewis
mattlinsin
7 posters

Go down

Lesser of two evils... Empty Lesser of two evils...

Post  mattlinsin Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm

I've recently collected a couple invasive shrubs known as Autumn Olive, or Japanese Silverberry (Elaeagnus umbellata Thunb). We had a warm up that caused the buds to break. They are now flush with tender new growth. The problem is coming on Wednesday in the form of freezing temperatures. We are expecting at least two nights to be in the mid to upper 20's.

Should I move the pots (both weighing in at around 80lb) into the garage and risk disturbing the roots again, or should I leave them outside and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Linsin
mattlinsin
mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Lesser of two evils... Empty Re: Lesser of two evils...

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Cover them completely with a towel or blanket. They'll probably take the mid 20s and up.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlinsin Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks Jim.

I'll post pitures as soon as I can.

Matt
mattlinsin
mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Lesser of two evils... Empty indeed cover them

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Yeah cover them up. Maybe even (if you can ) move them out of a windy are to reduce the chill.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlinsin Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Here are a couple snaps of the Autumn Olive. I was recently talking to a friend that said I could get fined for collecting this species because of its invasive nature. I responded with the fact that it would be confined to its pot and I wasn't using it for its original purpose which was to stop soil erosion. I'm not sure how this species populates itself, so I thought I would ask people here on this forum if I am doing the wrong thing here.

Thanks,

Matt

Lesser of two evils... Sasha_12

Lesser of two evils... Sasha_13
mattlinsin
mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:35 am

Birds eat its fruit, then disburse it liberally across the landscape. The fruit is unattractive so you just don't let it as a bonsai.

I find the flowers to have a sickening sweetness to their smell, so I wouldn't let them even bloom. Some folks like it, but I have to hold my breathand walk fast going though the perfume departments at stores.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:41 am

Matt-
We have the same bonsai pack. Neutral
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:54 am

Your wide smile is striking, Matt. I think Harry Hirao is celebrating his 92nd birthday collecting as you (though on steeper hills).

Good hunting wishes for you both... Very Happy
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlinsin Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Here are more pictures from the same day. I am most excited about this trees potential. This is an Eastern Hop-hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) or commonly known as Iron Wood. It was very heavy! I'm guessing between 80 and 100lbs! I was sore for days, but it was well worth it. It will be quite a while before I can call this a bonsai, and I look forward to the process.

Lesser of two evils... Jada_m10

Lesser of two evils... Jada_m11

Lesser of two evils... Jada_m12

Lesser of two evils... Jada_m13
mattlinsin
mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:21 am

Stumbled across this old thread...was curious about how the autumn olive is coming along? I've got a bunch of these growing in my field and have been contemplating collecting one. I kind of like the smell of the flowers, though it can be a bit overpowering.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlinsin Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:02 am

I lost the Olive the next year. It had a pretty big scar that rotted out quickly (soft heart wood). I also believe I tried to do to much to quick...lesson learned. I have another I collected several years back and it is doing fine. It's a very brittle plant to work with (Not my favorite species). I imagine it would be tricky to wire with out breaking the branch.

Good luck.
mattlinsin
mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tokennyc Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 pm

And the Hop-Hornbeam??? How is it doing. Some one on here just made a claim that a tree i posted here may in fact be a hop-hornbeam. My curiosity is mounting!!!

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12605-advice-on-newly-collected-and-already-poorly-boxed-material-betula-and-ulmus
Tokennyc
Tokennyc

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlinsin Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:12 am

Hi Tokennyc,

The Hop Hornbeam is doing well. It had vigorous and free growth last year. I looked at your pics from the thread you started but can't tell exactly what it is you have. I does look like pretty good material though. I started another thread showing the progress of the Hop Hornbeam posted in this thread Embarassed If your interested, it's titled Iron Wood Progress. I hope to post more pictures in the coming months on that thread.

Be well.

Matt
mattlinsin
mattlinsin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:02 am

mattlinsin wrote:Here are more pictures from the same day.  I am most excited about this trees potential. This is an Eastern Hop-hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) or commonly known as Iron Wood.  It was very heavy!  I'm guessing between 80 and 100lbs!  I was sore for days, but it was well worth it.  It will be quite a while before I can call this a bonsai, and I look forward to the process.

Lesser of two evils... Jada_m12

Lesser of two evils... Jada_m13

I really love these 2 photos! I hope they are alive and well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum