Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air-layering a Tilia americana

3 posters

Go down

Air-layering a Tilia americana Empty Air-layering a Tilia americana

Post  TreeKiller64 Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey all,
Has anyone had any experiences or tired to layer a Linden?
I have one in the yard, its getting quite big and before I prune it back this fall "09" I would like to try a layer or two off it.
Thanks,
KJ
TreeKiller64
TreeKiller64

Back to top Go down

Air-layering a Tilia americana Empty Air-Layering a Tilia americana

Post  bonsaisr Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Are you sure that what you have is American linden or basswood? It has gigantic leaves. Were you thinking of using it for bonsai? Even European linden is not that successful. Why bother?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Air-layering a Tilia americana Empty Re: Air-layering a Tilia americana

Post  Norma Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi KJ,

My linden bonsai is a called Little-Leaf (Tilia cordata) it's leaves are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches with reduction of leaves possible. The common American linden (Tilia americana) has leaves that are 3 to 7 inches which are huge , I know because my neighbor's full-grown yard tree drops it's leaves in my yard every fall.

I suspect, as Iris stated, that to make this tree a bonsai might be futile or at least discouraging. The smaller version however can be grown here and even survive our subzero winters. My linden is becoming rather nice but I did do a ground layer which was half successful. They are "fussy" growers with regular die-back and caterpillars love to eat the leaves..... but it's a challenge which I enjoy!

Good luck!

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeKiller64 Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks Norma and Iris,
I'm fairly sure its an American linden, I didn't plant it, was here when I bought the house.
But I'm still game for trying this material, I'll have to develop it into a larger bonsai, but this I was planning on anyway. I use M. Dirr's book to identify the tree and read what he wrote, but was just wondering if any bonsai
artist has used this material?
Thanks again,
Sincerely,
KJ
TreeKiller64
TreeKiller64

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down