Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts By Robert Z. Callanham

+3
tim stubbs
Kev Bailey
Mike Jones
7 posters

Go down

Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts   By Robert Z. Callanham Empty Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts By Robert Z. Callanham

Post  Mike Jones Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 pm

I was thinking of buying this one. Can anyone recommend it please? I lent my comprehensive azalea book out (Alexander Kennedy) and never got it back. Was therefore thinking of the one above in the subject line.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts   By Robert Z. Callanham Empty Re: Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts By Robert Z. Callanham

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Haven't got this one, but it appears to be quite hard to get hold of. Greenwood are out of stock, Amazon USA have a couple of sellers but Amazon UK shows none.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts   By Robert Z. Callanham Empty Re: Satsuki Azaleas for bonsai and Azalea Enthusiasts By Robert Z. Callanham

Post  tim stubbs Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I have it and its a very good technical book , itis quite expensive but worth it , try Kaizen if you want one
tim stubbs
tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:57 am

Howzit Mike

Try this link;

http://www.absbonsai.org/books/booklist.html

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Best price for that that I know of is at www.stonelantern.com.

It is a very nice book.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Unfortunately it comes to $50 with postage which is a bit humpy. If anyone has the Alexander Kennedy book and does not need it anymore I would be very grateful for first dibs on it.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Are Kennedy's two books on Satsuki out of print? I have them both, though I think Callahan's book is more useful.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:02 pm

JimLewis wrote:Are Kennedy's two books on Satsuki out of print? I have them both, though I think Callahan's book is more useful.

Yes both out of print and not known when they they will ever be produced again....which is a shame.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:10 am

That is a nice book. My only complaint is that half of it is a listing of azalea cultivars. Nice info to have but VERY dull reading.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:03 am

FrankP999 wrote:That is a nice book. My only complaint is that half of it is a listing of azalea cultivars. Nice info to have but VERY dull reading.

Frank

Oh bum and I have just ordered it. I had a feeling a lot would have been wasted on different cultivars. Oh well, there is always ebay to sell it on again.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 am

Mike, I paid over £30 for the Japanese monograph listing, I think over 1200 varieties. Yours will have more and is in english plus all the other information. Wish I'd waited a few years, but I didn't know anyone was going to do an english version. So I'm in even more of a quandary. I suppose I could follow your lead and try to sell the Japanese one on Ebay/Amazon.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Oh bum and I have just ordered it. I had a feeling a lot would have
been wasted on different cultivars. Oh well, there is always ebay to
sell it on again.

Why "Oh bum?" That info is really hard to find. It may be dull reading, but it is very, very handy reading if you like Satsuki.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Just disappointed Jim that half of the book is about the cultivars. Information that is likely to not be beneficial to me. The variety of Satsuki in my area is just not available.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dave p Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 pm

have you seen japanese satsuki bonsai.how to grow satsuki bonsai and an introduction
to their varieties its a good book and all in english.i got mine at the green club this year
off peter warren (saruyama bonsai).he had lots with him.

dave p

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 am

dave p wrote:have you seen japanese satsuki bonsai.how to grow satsuki bonsai and an introduction
to their varieties its a good book and all in english.i got mine at the green club this year
off peter warren (saruyama bonsai).he had lots with him.

Thank you Dave, I may try that one.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Well it has arrived and I must say it seems excellent. raining here so reading in a moment or two.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down