Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shimpaku grafted on California juniper

+5
peter keane
Rob Kempinski
Frankie C
Hawaiian77
boon
9 posters

Go down

shimpaku grafted on California juniper Empty shimpaku grafted on California juniper

Post  boon Thu May 27, 2010 5:35 am

this tree was grafted in 1995 by Akio Kondo, my senior. He put 2 grafted on it. I and my student styled it 8 years ago. We cut one graft off and use only one. i took it back home and finished it up during Intensive Class.
Akio Sempai(senior) came back in August 2009. he was pleased to see it. he spend a day detailing it.
I and the owner did some touch up and show it this year in January. this is the picture from the show
The picture was taken by Eric Schrader.
shimpaku grafted on California juniper Img_0010
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

shimpaku grafted on California juniper Empty Re: shimpaku grafted on California juniper

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 am

Howzit Boon,
Once again, A beautiful example of work you all do over there. ThumbsUp I hope that one day I can make it over to one of your classes or maybe when you and your family come to Maui for a vacation you can give a class at our bonsai club. (I could only wish!!) Sad

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

shimpaku grafted on California juniper Empty Re: shimpaku grafted on California juniper

Post  boon Thu May 27, 2010 6:07 am

Hawaiian77 wrote:Howzit Boon,
Once again, A beautiful example of work you all do over there. ThumbsUp I hope that one day I can make it over to one of your classes or maybe when you and your family come to Maui for a vacation you can give a class at our bonsai club. (I could only wish!!) Sad

-Tim Cool

Tim,
I'd love to come by and visit you in Hawaii. it was a long time since i was there.

thank you,
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu May 27, 2010 6:14 am

Well my friend, your always welcome to come back and visit us. The hotel rates are good.... flights should be O.K. And if all else fails, you can use the dog house that Jay was going to use when he comes to Maui too!! lol! lol! lol!

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 am

after scrubbing the deadwood with wire brush and tooth brush
shimpaku grafted on California juniper P1010410
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Thu May 27, 2010 6:30 am

Hawaiian77 wrote:Well my friend, your always welcome to come back and visit us. The hotel rates are good.... flights should be O.K. And if all else fails, you can use the dog house that Jay was going to use when he comes to Maui too!! lol! lol! lol!

-Tim Cool

alright, i will be there next year.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 am

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankie C Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 am

Hi Boon

Your work is simply amazing ! Very well done! thumbs up

Frankie C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu May 27, 2010 11:28 am

Nice tree Boon. The lack of nebari always bothers me a bit on the driftwood junipers - makes them look less stable but the rest is great.

Did you mean that one grafted branch made all the foliage? I'd like to see a schematic of where the graft was and the branches from it.
I have a juniper where I grafted one branch lower on its trunk and that one branch is now the whole canopy of the tree.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

shimpaku grafted on California juniper Empty shimpaku grafted on California juniper

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Great tree Boon. Have I seen this before? Perhaps it could do with extending the foliage down on the lef..... shimpaku grafted on California juniper Icon_twisted. Only kidding shimpaku grafted on California juniper Icon_biggrin. I like the way it flares out as it leaves the soil. Unique and vulnerable.

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Yours is the perfect climate for bud-grafting junipers...sigh
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 am

Hi Boon.

Very impressive tree, great job with the crown. ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Fri May 28, 2010 7:03 am

Hawaiian77 wrote:thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

-Tim Cool
i am poor this year, i wish i could be there this year. love clear water, warm and sunshine, (who doesn't)
sunny drunken
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Fri May 28, 2010 7:05 am

Thank you Frankie and Pavel,
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Fri May 28, 2010 7:09 am

will baddeley wrote:Great tree Boon. Have I seen this before? Perhaps it could do with extending the foliage down on the lef..... shimpaku grafted on California juniper Icon_twisted. Only kidding shimpaku grafted on California juniper Icon_biggrin. I like the way it flares out as it leaves the soil. Unique and vulnerable.
Will,
thank you for your kind words, i am glad you remember it. i will talk to the owner about your idea. ThumbsUp
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Fri May 28, 2010 7:24 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:Nice tree Boon. thanks,

The lack of nebari always bothers me a bit on the driftwood junipers - makes them look less stable but the rest is great.

easy solution- if you have them get rid of them. if you do not have one, do not acquire one.

your statement indicates that you do not understand driftwood bonsai.

i'd love to see some picture of you tree with good nebari.

Did you mean that one grafted branch made all the foliage? I'd like to see a schematic of where the graft was and the branches from it.
I have a juniper where I grafted one branch lower on its trunk and that one branch is now the whole canopy of the tree.

yes, one approach graft. i will take a picture of the grafted spot when i go there next time.
pls post the pic of your grafted one.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Fri May 28, 2010 7:34 am

peter keane wrote:Yours is the perfect climate for bud-grafting junipers...sigh
i love our climate. but summer is a little bit too cold here.
this one is approach graft with 3 year old rooted cutting. (Kamiya, our teacher, technique) i think it is done in late spring or early summer.
i use the new technique that published in bonsai focus. success rate is higher than bud graft.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri May 28, 2010 11:58 am

Boon...et al,
I am not a subscriber to bonsaifocus..was at one time. Can you or someone as conveniently as possible explain? Is this a veneer graft, standard aproach graft......etc..?

Thank you,
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 am

Hi Boon

I've been meaning to email you about your approach graft technique. I believe I observed an example of it while on my last visit with you. But, if Bonsai Focus is going to publish it soon, I'll wait:)
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 am

Neil and Peter,
the article is in bonsai focus lat year. i can check when i get back home last week. you need power tool to make grove wide and deep enough to sink the whole branch(after shaving both side with sharp knife) in to the groove. then tie with non strech tape. it will fuse within 1 -2 years.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

shimpaku grafted on California juniper Empty grafted shimpaku updated

Post  boon Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:12 am

we worked on it again last week. cleaning old needles and thinning. you can see that it had a lot of runners. runners is the sign that the tree is strong.
if it is not thinned, light and air will not get into the interior. interior buds will die in a few years.
if it is thinned too much, the tree will get weak.
shimpaku grafted on California juniper Dsc_0010
before work
shimpaku grafted on California juniper Dsc_0011
after
shimpaku grafted on California juniper Dsc_0012
shimpaku grafted on California juniper Dsc_0014
it is also important to have taper on the branches.
shimpaku grafted on California juniper Dsc_0015

boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:01 am

Boon, beautiful. So healthy looking too. Someday I would like to come west and take classes from you.. God health and luck to you javascript:emoticonp('thumbs up')
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Tom,
i hope to see you in CA sometimes,

thank you,
Boon
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm

That's the kindest thing anyone could do to a California juniper! Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Russell Coker wrote:That's the kindest thing anyone could do to a California juniper! Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

R

I am very happy you understand what I do. Thank you Russell,
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down