Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update

+10
Russell Coker
Rui Marques
bucknbonsai
marcus watts
drgonzo
Gwyther
Velodog2
Peteburg
John Quinn
gman
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update

Post  gman Tue May 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Folks,
Just wanted to share some spring colour with an update on an azalea and a J. Larch that I got last fall.
I haven't done anything to the Azalea except to use the last owners back position for the new front - first photo (he liked to see the trunk-second photo, I didn't like the straight upper main stem) but I do want to transfer it into a different pot next spring - any ideas?
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Dc_s_a10
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Dc_s_a11

With the J. Larch I repotted it (I know the pot sucks but it was the only one I had), repositioned it and am trying for an exposed root concept. First photo - as I got it, second one - my attempt.
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Dc_s_j13
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Dc_s_j12
Cheers G.
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Re: Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update

Post  John Quinn Wed May 19, 2010 2:35 am

Nice flowers! Perhaps a pale blue or cream oval pot?
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty thumbs up!

Post  Peteburg Wed May 19, 2010 1:42 pm

Really like what you did with the larch, looks great!

Peteburg

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Re: Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update

Post  Velodog2 Wed May 19, 2010 1:48 pm

I like the larch! The bark and the taper are both very good. I like the color of the pot(s) as well. There is something attractive in the first photo that seems to have been lost in the second, although I'm not sure I can quite identify it. I think perhaps the more refined styling in the second is maybe too linear. The counterpoint of the branches moving back toward the pot in the apex and near the end of the cascade gave it more dynamism perhaps. I liked the structural starkness of the first pot as well.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Larch Fall colours

Post  gman Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:05 am

Here is the larch with his fall colours (well almost there).....thinking to the spring and perhaps he'd be happy on this sandstone rock (lots of through holes/hollows)- 2/3rd photo ? Wink
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Jlarch10
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Larch-10
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Sandst11

Last edited by gman on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi gman

Perhaps something like this -

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Azalea10

Cheers
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Gwyther wrote:Hi gman

Perhaps something like this -

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Azalea10

Cheers
Vic

Very very nice Vic, great virt and pot thanks for sharing. Shipping costs might be more than the pot? Wink
Cheers
Graham
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:09 pm

At this point that rock looks a little too big for the tree, BUT just let that larch go crazy for a few years as she gets used to being on the rock and all will be well. That tree looks good in a cascade pot but would look amazing on that rock. Rock-on!
-Jay

actually looking closer maybe the rocks not too big at all
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Velodog2 wrote: There is something attractive in the first photo that seems to have been lost in the second, although I'm not sure I can quite identify it. I think perhaps the more refined styling in the second is maybe too linear. .

i agree that in the first picture the tree looks older and more convincing as an aged wild tree - i think it is the irregular directions the smaller branches go in that makes the tree appear very natural.

the raised roots and bark on the lower trunk are great, but i'd try and get some natural movement back into the branches maybe
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 pm

You're welcome Graham Smile

Actually on a pot this size the shipping is quite reasonable.

Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Modified

Post  gman Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:48 am

Just a few changes to the shape and the colour as it gets ready for winter.
Cheers G
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Japlar10Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Japlar11
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:00 am

gman, I like your trees and I have a question. On the azalea in the second photo, a decent portion of the nebari appears to have in the past been connected to a large branch/trunk that has since been removed. Did the corresponding portion of the nebari die? I ask this because I have lucked into a large amount of old azaleas with amazing nebari yet multiple trunks and im trying to figure out to get them down to 1 to 2 trunks each without losing a large portion of nebari. Some of them are large turtleback looking ones and if a trunk is removed that whole portion of the "turtle" would die?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:56 am

bucknbonsai wrote:gman, I like your trees and I have a question. On the azalea in the second photo, a decent portion of the nebari appears to have in the past been connected to a large branch/trunk that has since been removed. Did the corresponding portion of the nebari die? I ask this because I have lucked into a large amount of old azaleas with amazing nebari yet multiple trunks and im trying to figure out to get them down to 1 to 2 trunks each without losing a large portion of nebari. Some of them are large turtleback looking ones and if a trunk is removed that whole portion of the "turtle" would die?
I picked this fellow up when one of our club members was "downsizing", it was a garden variety with many main stems....he picked what he thought would be the best visual line.
Cheers and good luck with yours.
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Are the nebari that went to stem that was cut off dead or alive?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:05 am

bucknbonsai wrote:Are the nebari that went to stem that was cut off dead or alive?
Some are dead and some alive (the large one has a root on it about 1" from where it was cut off). I'll try and do some carving if I re-pot it this spring. Even though its the back I'll try and make it a little more realistic.
Cheers
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Shohin Larch Fall colours continue

Post  gman Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46 am

The needles are falling fast and furious after a blast of winter, but as the sun broke the through the clouds this afternoon, the true golden colour finally showed up.
Cheers
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Grlarc10Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Grlarc11Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Grlarc12
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Spring Repot - Larch root over Rock

Post  gman Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi folks,
I repotted this little guy on the weekend by just lifting the tree and roots/rock about an inch. Once it has settled into the new position I'll adjust the angle of the main stem.
Cheers
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Rorlar10
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:39 am

Hi,

This larix must be green in colors... Please, show us!
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty 6 fronts

Post  gman Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:59 am

Its a hexagon pot so it gives me 6 views as I rotate it once a week Smile
here is the first three...A?B?C?
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin10
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin11
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin12
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty D, E and F

Post  gman Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 am

I'll expose more roots over the rock next spring... Smile
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin13
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin14
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin15
and one of the lone cone..
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Shohin16
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Spring Green

Post  gman Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi Folks,
Here is a spring update, first shot is with the main guy wires and then without.
Cheers G.
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Easter12
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Easter13
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:22 pm

If you haven't already, you really need to properly clean and seal those big cuts on that azalea. Don't use cut paste, use a sealer like bonsai/satsuki bond.

Larch is really coming along!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

those are both really nice, thats on my list to get a nice azalea this year
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Empty Hi Gman

Post  tap pi lu Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:31 am

I Like. Very like. very nice work
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Easter12
Shohin Azalea and Larch Spring Update Easter13[/quote]
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 am

Thanks Russel, I no longer own the azalea,
Really appreciate your kind words, Giga and tap pi lu.
Cheers Graham
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next