Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What type of tree is this?

+2
JimLewis
johnnypalmer89
6 posters

Go down

What type of tree is this? Empty What type of tree is this?

Post  johnnypalmer89 Thu May 13, 2010 8:11 am

I found this very unique looking tree in my yard the today and i thought, what the heck, lets give it a go... I am from Jacksonville, Florida and this tree was growing next to a magnolia I had in the from yard. So here are the pics linked on photo bucket! Thanks!

What type of tree is this? 1

What type of tree is this? 1-2

What type of tree is this? 1-1

johnnypalmer89

Back to top Go down

What type of tree is this? Empty Re: What type of tree is this?

Post  JimLewis Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Very hard to tell from those pictures. Could be a willow-leaf fig. Could be a willow.

But the soil it is in looks awful.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu May 13, 2010 1:27 pm

I'd also be a bit concerned that the pot it is now in is too small to allow it to develop - assuming of course you want to get it to put on considerably more foliage. But I'm speaking from a perspective of not knowing your climate etc. Or indeed from not knowing your level of bonsai ability - and in this latter I may be colossally insulting you. If so, apologies - it was not meant to do so.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu May 13, 2010 1:51 pm

It looks like a podocarpus that has been growing in the shade to me. They are pretty common landscape plants in your neck of the woods. I agree with fiona that you should probably put it into a larger container to let it grow out faster for you. If it is Podocarpus, it should throw lots of new growth and will grow well if you have enough root and give it pleanty of sunshine.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

What type of tree is this? Empty What Type of Tree is This?

Post  bonsaisr Thu May 13, 2010 1:53 pm

If it bleeds latex (white sticky sap) when it is cut, it is a Ficus. However, it looks more like a willow. Willows are not particularly good bonsai subjects. Plant it in the ground & see what develops. You are not helping it by putting it in a bonsai pot at present.
It is not likely to be a seedling of willow leaf fig, Ficus salicaria, since its pollinator does not exist in Florida, as far as we know. Bark is not like a Ficus, anyway.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Thu May 13, 2010 2:00 pm

I say Podocarpus. I am quite familiar with this tree and that new growth (green branch) on the right has podocarpus written all over it.

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

What type of tree is this? Empty thanks

Post  johnnypalmer89 Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 pm

as far as the soil goes its pretty much sand haha thats the soil it was in when i found it, however that was because i realized i ran out of my regular potting soil mix after it was dug up. However Im one step ahead of you guys because its already back in the ground!

johnnypalmer89

Back to top Go down

What type of tree is this? Empty cutting

Post  johnnypalmer89 Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 pm

so now that I know what it is, do you think I should cut it shorter?

johnnypalmer89

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Thu May 13, 2010 2:24 pm

I don't see much taper. Chopping it lower would introduce taper and movement, but you risk killing it. It's a conifer and, like many conifers, if you leave it without leaves it will likely die.

I would leave it alone for now to recover.

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down