Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show

5 posters

Go down

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Empty Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show

Post  gregb Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

The Bonsai Society of Portland (Oregon) had its annual spring show this weekend at the Japanese Garden Pavillion. The Garden is considered to be one of the best in the U.S. and is an ideal setting for a bonsai show.

Please be patient while I re-learn how to post a picture thread as I seldom post to this forum. I will try to give the species of tree and name of artist from memory. I know three of the trees already because they were mine Sleep First up is a shohin display by Arline Sigourney. The pine at the top is mine and won best shohin
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring12

A close-up of my lodgepole pine shohin

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring13

A shot of the tokonoma display; Japanese maple by Dennis Vojtilla
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring14
Bob Laws won best deciduous with his air-layered apple. A very heavy tree Shocked
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring15
Scot Elser won best conifer with his Limber pine, a collected tree from Randy Knight.
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring16
A Southwestern white pine of mine. It took 3 of us to lift it on the pedestal Shocked
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring17
Anne Spencer's red maple. Anne is known for her outstanding nebari (on her trees, that is Laughing)
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring18
My procumbens juniper, originally styled by John Naka in 1985; I purchased it in 2002 from Loveda Petrie
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring19
A nice little shimpaku from Manny
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring20
A Chinese quince from Dennis Vojtilla

gregb

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Empty Re: Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show

Post  gregb Mon May 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring21
A plum (Ume) also Dennis's
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring22
A Noble fir from Lee Cheatle
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring23
An Dogwood from Steve Willcox
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring24
Scott Elser's pine (black pine, I think)
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring25
Bob Laws trident maple
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring26
Engelman spruce from Scott Elser
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring27
A spruce shohin from Anne Spencer
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring28
Another Engelman spruce from Mark Vossbrink
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring29
Tree by Anne Spencer; Liquidamber scratch
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring30
More shohin
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring31
Still more shohin, various artists
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring32
Arctic birch (actually a willow) from Scot Elser or Lee Cheatle
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring33
Scot Elser's high altitude display/Bunjin pine
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring34
A Japanese maple group from Dennis Vojtilla; seed for these collected from Imperial Garden in Japan
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring35
Overview of trees together

gregb

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Empty Re: Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show

Post  peter keane Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I've heard of southwestern white pine (pinus strobiflora) as a bonsai specimen. how does it do in Portland?
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring36
Another shot of show
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring37
More
Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring38
Dennis Vojtilla was doing a wiring demo on his Princess persimmon. Expression on face is how we all felt towards the end of the show Rolling Eyes Bonsai Society of Portland Spring Show Spring39

There were quite a few more trees I just couldn't get decent shots of because I couldn't get far enough away from them. Hope you enjoyed the show
cheers

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

peter keane wrote:I've heard of southwestern white pine (pinus strobiflora) as a bonsai specimen. how does it do in Portland?

Peter--I collected this tree in 2005 from Southeast Arizona. I moved to Oregon in 2006 and of the trees I brought with me from Arizona this one has done the best of all. I innoculated it with mycorhizzae before potting in the grow box and I think that helped immensely because the entire grow box was colonized with the mycellium. The pine grew so well I had to thin out needles last fall.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 pm

I wonder if I could find it in San Antonio, Texas??
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Mon May 10, 2010 10:37 pm

This came from over 9,000' elevation; I doubt it's range is that far east. I think Texas would be too hot and too dry for this species. Maybe New Mexico.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue May 11, 2010 1:49 am

Greg thanks for posting the nice trees.

I heard Dennis Vojtilla is driving trees to the US National Exhibition in Rochester, NY, from Oregon and Washington State. I wonder if any of these are going east.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Tue May 11, 2010 5:27 am

Glad you liked them, Rob. I know of at least 3 (not telling which Razz ) Guess the curious will just have to attend to tell what ones are jocolor
And yes, Dennis is driving them over Shocked

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 am

Thanks for posting some incredibly nice bonsai.
Any club should be proud to put on this quality of show.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu May 13, 2010 3:38 am

Much Mahalo for sharing pictures of the show. ThumbsUp Really nice showing of some beautiful bonsai's. I really like the Oriental Sweetgum. thumbs up I'm thinking of doing one if I can only find space for it on my lani!! Twisted Evil

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Fri May 14, 2010 4:22 am

I appreciate the kind words about the club. We have a good club Dance

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down