Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki

4 posters

Go down

Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Empty Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki

Post  Yvoune Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Hello everybody Smile

Could somebody share any picture of an Osa-Kazuki maple grown as a bonsaï...this is my favorite japonese maple (lovely spring/fall colours, little red flowers growin' before leaves get mature, red fruits & purple colour on the young bark, nice shape and red lines on the leaves...) and I was wonderin' what I could expect from puttin' this sort of tree in a pot since the leaves and internodes are pretty big...

...any experience or comment on this particular species greatly welcome Very Happy

Yves Dosogne
Yvoune
Yvoune

Back to top Go down

Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Empty Re: Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki

Post  Yvoune Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 pm

Nobody, really?

Thanks for reading, anyway Smile

Yves
Yvoune
Yvoune

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:45 pm

I have no experience with this tree. However here is a site which specializes in selling Japanese Maples. It says they are not suitable for bonsai. http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com/japanese-maples/osakazuki-japanese-maple-trees.html
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Empty Re; Acer Palmatum OsaKazuki

Post  jamesransom Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 am

Hi Yvoune
I have looked at doing Acer Palmatum -OsaKazuki But have only done another palmatum type aurem. This has the same structure as Osakazuki and would be happy to take a picture tomorrow and show my effort. I felt it looks a interesting tree and will remain in my collection. I reduced the tree from 3m to about 30cm and repotted from a 90lt pot to a 5lt pot then into its show pot. The leaves was reduced from 10cm to 1.5/2cm with short back-budding. This was done by leaf pruning and low amounts of Nitrogen.

James
jamesransom
jamesransom

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 am

As I mentioned elsewhere, bud plucking, where you pull out the new shoot between each first pair of new leaves will also shorten internodes, increase ramification and decrease leaf size over time.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Empty Acer pal.

Post  jamesransom Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:06 pm

I took these on Sunday. The tree has has a repot and last year was left to grow untrained in some areas to thicken branches. I plan to wire it in the next month once i have stripped the leaves off.

This tree was about 3m when i got it and i cut back the trunk and hollowed it out.

[img]Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Acer_p10[/img]

This is the size of the leaf and the back budding.

[img]Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Acer_p11[/img]

The tree as it is now before the rewire.

[img]Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Acer_p12[/img]

Have fun with yours

James
jamesransom
jamesransom

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:22 am

A very nice nebari and trunk. You carved out the trunk even though there was no deadwood? If so, what was your reason? Thanks for posting. I would be interesting in seeing the tree after you wire.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Acer Palmatum Osa-Kazuki Empty Re acer

Post  jamesransom Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Carolee
I purchased the tree form a freind he was a grower of maples in Holland. He used this maple as his stock plant for grafting then when he retired he offered me the tree to buy. It was about 3.5m high 9 or 10ft and in a 110lt pot. I air layered about 40 trees off this tree and sold them in my garden centre (helped pay for the tree and other ones i got from him) that left a yuck looking stump. You see i fell in love with the base and the roots and piched for a long term rebranching of the tree. I am not keen on stumpsai bonsai so to gain taper i hollowed the trink to remove the stumps and give the tree a bit of interest. I will show you another two pictures this weekend hopfully one of the tree before work and the rewire.

Thanks James
jamesransom
jamesransom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down