Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Studding a Drum

+10
Dale Cochoy
landerloos
irene_b
kitoi
GaryWood
Mario Stefano
Kev Bailey
FrankP999
manayama
Stone Monkey
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Studding a Drum Empty Studding a Drum

Post  Stone Monkey Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 am

Here is the first video in my hopeful series of Stone Monkey Ceramics videos showing some of the techniques I use to make my Bonsai Pots. In this video I add the studs to a round unglazed drum style bonsai pot. Its not a quick thing to do and this is only one row round the whole pot, there will be more studs to go on this Drum pot. I am testing the water here on the IBC with this video to see how it is received and if it is of any interest and use Very Happy

Thanks for watching

Last edited by Stone Monkey on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : make the video bigger)
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  manayama Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:38 am

Andy,
Thx for the video. Please forgive this question if it seems so obvious, but, are you using a hollowed out rounded stick to attach the stud? I can't tell if its a tiny copper pipe
or a solid tool.

are you asking for critique of the video? You could talk more, turn the music down abit...
About a year ago I asked Simon Leach via youtube (he asked for requests) if he could make
a bonsai pot. He said that he didn't know anything about it...You could be the Simon Leach
of the bonsai world, lol...
btw, stonemonkey matt crackle is in the kiln on tiny pots as we speak. it will be a week before I can access them to post.
Judy

manayama

Back to top Go down

Studding a Drum Empty Re: Studding a Drum

Post  FrankP999 Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks. Nice video but I find the music detracts. Too loud for one...

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 am

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. This is the first video I have done and the first time I have used iMovie to put a video together. I will try and pluck up the courage to talk on the next one and to get rid of or turn the music right down.

Judy

I don't know about being the Bonsai version of Simon Leach, that's a huge thing to even try to live up to. I
love watching Simon's videos they are a huge inspiration. So please be critical of my videos then I can learn

Kind Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Andy,

Great effort for a first time with a good camera angle and lighting. Some suggestions. In shots where your mouth isn't visible, you could add some voiceover recorded seperately. I generally use the camera with the lens cap on to grab this sort of audio. You can knock the black video track off after capturing. Imovie will allow you to adjust the audio levels on a sliding scale on the timeline. This lets you balance music with voiceover.

I can make it doubly hard for you, but I'd love to see one or two close ups, if you are planning on doing more vids. These can be filmed out of sequence, even on a different pot, if you are careful. Little details that will help people understand more, like nipping off and rolling the clay before placing it in the end of the application tool, the actual application and the rubbing off of tool marks. Then edit together for a polished finish.

Use straight cuts rather than any nasty distracting transitions, they are a classic beginners "mistake".

Welcome to the wonderful world of video editing!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Andy my frends,

Thank you proven techniques drum pot. So far, I presumed, and now I know how it works. Excellent job!
Video takes a long time, with repetition of the same actions. You may make a brief installation, from making a pot, drum over rivets and mounting foot.
Congratulations to the first educational video!

regards
Mario
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Andy,great start! Do you remember your first pot? Aren't learnig curves fun. Very Happy
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  kitoi Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Great job and tutorial!

As far video goes some narration would be beneficial especially on such a long clip, gets a little long in the tooth as it is a repetitive task. We get the impression that you are licking the clay would be nice if if the viewer could see actually touching your tongue to it. Maybe some closer shots of applying clay to the tool and then the pot. Another interesting aspect would be start off the vid at normal speed, the speed it up through the middle then normal again at the end to condense the time to under 5min.

kitoi

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I think Andy just upped the pictures!!! You other potters now have to meet the bid on what he has achieved.... ThumbsUp
I am looking forward to see what else is up his sleeve! Dance
Irene

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Nice vid from my favorite potter.
Well done Andy, dont think its to long, man I wanna try to make pots badly.

Your friend
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Peter

Your always too kind Wink

Ireneb

Embarassed

Kitoi

Thanks for the feedback. I did try and find a way to speed up the middle bit of the video but so far on iMovie, which I am editing the video on, I have not found anyway of doing it. Does anyone know Question Yes I am licking the clay, bad habit I am afraid Twisted Evil It is quiet hard to do some close ups etc as the camera is just recording on it's own while I do my thing.

Gary

I still remember my first pot and how aweful it was Mad Funny you should say that about first pots but my second pot just came back into my possession the other day. That was really weird lol!

Mario

Thanks for the feedback and support. More videos will follow hopefully with some voice overs and more.

Kev

Thanks for the support and tips. Making pots is so much easier that this video thing, but it is fun and I know I won't win any oscars lol!

Judy

Sorry I forgot to answer your question about the tool. I made it from clay and it just has the opposite shape of a stub in the end. Put in a small ball of clay, lick (YUK) and press on

Regards to you all and thanks again for your input and advice

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi Andy,

Many years of searching for just this sort of thing, but for Adobe Premiere Pro, have given me an edge. I googled "Imovie Tutorial Speed" and this is what popped up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCe4K7AXYc&feature=fvw There are several more on Youtube, probably one for whichever version of Imovie you are using.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Interesting vid Andy.
Do you have your SAG card now?? Laughing

dale
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Andy, I enlarged the Video for you, you can do this when you post the video, simply change the size to 800 x 486 this scale the video up.

You are right and you should talk during the demo, about the clay, the styling, Future... anything related to the pot. makes for an interesting video.

regards

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Nice andy, If i may suggest.
Make a little sequence off how you got the pot made so far.
Could be in plain pictures.
And yes speak to us,....we wil listen!

The music as mentioned what was it, i dont know it but i realy wanna.....HAHAHA......
You are for sure a magician when it comes to neatly measurements!

Keep up the good work, thanx for sharing.

ps. Does clay taste different one from another? Wink

grtz. machiel
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Machiel

Good to hear from you Very Happy

My next video will be better, I promise Wink I will try a voice over as suggested and see how it does. I might even re do this video and post agin to see if it is any better.

The music, haha, it is from the Opera, Monkey: Journey to the West by Damon Albarn, Gorrilaz, Blur, etc. See the Monkey connection there Very Happy
Again thanks for your comments they are always welcome.

Regards

Andy

P.S. Nah all the clay tastes the same. The black clay is a little like liquorice though affraid
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Dale

SAG card??? Whats that?

Tony

Thanks for the help. Being the first, hopefully of many, this is sort of to test the water and for me to get used to editing etc etc. Good fun though. I will try the voice over on the next video, I will do it live and then if no good will record a new voice over track. I find it hard to whistle and ride Wink

I settled for the Canon Powershot sx210i, great little camera and so easy to use. Thanks for your advice on camera selection.

All the best and I will give you a call during the week

Regards to you both

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  manayama Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Andy

Simon Leach makes it look easy and he's a natural in front of the camera. Timing can be learned. Maybe he uses
a list or some type of cue cards to make sure his talking points get across to the viewer. Even if he doesn't, a large poster board
off to the side could help.

Btw, you seemed to be comfortable there practicing your craft.

Judy

ps: black clay could have manganese in it...(don't lick those - use a soggy sponge)

manayama

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Stone Monkey wrote:Dale

SAG card??? Whats that?
Andy

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD Very Happy

You can be like Lance Henriksen ( from Alien's and many other movies) who has been a fantastic potter for years. Google it.
My wife bought me one of his pots a few years back for a Christmas present.

D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Studding a Drum Empty First Video Mk2

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi All

I have had a play and took on board most of your ides. Sorry Kev will have to crack stills in clips some other time Wink

Here is the improved video.

Your thoughts on the new version are appreciated

Regards

Andy

Last edited by Stone Monkey on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Studding a Drum Empty First Video Mk2

Post  manayama Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 pm

FANTASTIC!

Thanks, Andy.

Loved the background music and the pace of the clip and the zoom (sorry I don't know terms for that)
but this was great to watch.

Judy

manayama

Back to top Go down

Post  kitoi Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Much improved!!

kitoi

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Great!!! I can not wait for the next one Smile
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Good job Andy.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Excellent work Andy!

Make sure you keep a backup of the entire project somewhere, you never know when you may want to come back and revisit it. It's as well to put everything (voiceover, music, video, Imovie project file etc) all in one folder and burn it to DVD or an external hard drive. That way the file associations shouldn' be lost, if you want to get it back on the computer and re-edit.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum