Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin upright juniper

+9
bonsaistud
fiona
sixhunter
boon
Rob Kempinski
Joe Hatfield
AlainK
Paul Landis
JimLewis
13 posters

Go down

Shohin upright juniper Empty Shohin upright juniper

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 pm

At 12.5 inches purists may argue, but this IS a shohin juniper. Smile It was dug from my woods in 2002, potted in a bonsai pot in '03. It's current pot is an unglazed pinch pot I made during a club make-a-pot meeting last year.

I think this is coming along, and would welcome suggestions as to the next step.

Shohin upright juniper Formal10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Shohin upright juniper Empty Re: Shohin upright juniper

Post  Paul Landis Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 pm

Great tree!! Love it.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

I like it a lot, but to my taste, the last branch on the left is much too long.

...And I hate the pot (with this tree).

I hope you don't mind my being so straightforward, but I think this little juniper does have a great potential : qui bene amat, bene castigat Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Top or bottom branch? I think the left top is a bit too large.

So far, this one gets a different pot every year, so nothing is forever. Smile I liked this one bcause the color kinda matches the stones. I was searching for a "lone-tree-struggles-against-nature-on-the-mountaintop" look.

Glad both of you like the tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Jim. Top left seems too long, makes the tree look boxy.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I have to agree with Alain about the pot. A long shallow pot would show this tree off well and give the feeling of a lone tree in the open.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 pm

will baddeley wrote:I have to agree with Alain about the pot. A long shallow pot would show this tree off well and give the feeling of a lone tree in the open.

Funny you would say that. It was in this pot last year.

Shohin upright juniper Formal11

cheers
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:50 am

will baddeley wrote:I have to agree with Alain about the pot. A long shallow pot would show this tree off well and give the feeling of a lone tree in the open.

I rather see a barely large enough round rustic pot unbglazed with moss on the soil. Reduce the top left branch too.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 am

Jim, there is exception for shohin bunjin. this tree is still considered a shohin and it is not displayed with box stand.
I love the trunk.
but you do not have a most important basic element - triangular silhouette. the top 2 branches are too long. they make the tree look more square than triangle. Branches are too leggy and large.
Lower 3 branches are about the same sizes and very close together. You probably need at least 2. and remove the one in the back. it may slow down future swelling.
tree is delicate. pot should be more simple. i would try long and narrow pot. it may make it more dramatic.
it is just my opinion.
again i still love the trunk.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am

actually I like his pinch pot because it does seem to blend with the rocks better and gives it a bit mountain/rocky color/feel. Yeah, I think the top left branch a bit too lengthy ^^
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm

IMHO I agree about shortening the top left branch and also about the tree best suiting a long shallow oval pot. The other stipulation I'd have made is that the tree is set off-centre in the aforementioned long shallow oval pot - as indeed Jim had done when it was in the rectangular pot. But, interestingly, I'd put it to the other side, with the reason being that it picks up the flow of the longer branches to the right.

And, just to win the prize for stating the bloomin' obvious - there's quite a bit of foliage development needed as I see it.

Crap virt now following:

Shohin upright juniper Jim_s_12
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:14 pm

I agree with Fiona's suggestion, that's about what I had in mind.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks, all. That top branch will go. Dunno about the lower ones, Boon; they look a lot better "in the round." The trunk is its finest feature. Very Happy

Personally, I've found all the "finished" bonsai pots this has been in very boring. So, future "final" pot is well up in the air.

And yes, this tree has LOTS of foliage improvement work ahead of it -- a job my clumsy (and rapidly growing clumsier) fingers find to be tough, especially with these prickly junipers.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:00 am

Wonderful little tree Jim...howsomeever...IMAFMHO...

I would first...lose the three lower branches...maybe jin. They are too close together, and I think that less is better for a bunjin...then work with the top branches...

Also, I like Fiona's idea...even a little more to the left...more dramatic.

As to the rocks...? It is, after all...all about the tree, isn't it?

All easy for me to say...without seeing it up close and personal...and it's not my tree.

Like I said Jim, IMAFMHO...

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

Jim, I love the trunk and the simplicity of the overall image. I would however consider setting the bottom two branches at a much steeper downward angle and then growing the pads out to recreate the required 'triangular' foliage shape.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

?????????????? !

Shohin upright juniper 440p10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:12 pm

So shiny and smooth for such a rustic tree! No.... The shape is ok, but I think that something rectangular would go with the stark image much better. Last years pot, but shallower and a little longer, is the best I've seen so far.

I like this tree more and more as I look at it. Get the branch length and angles right and it will be classic.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Last years pot, but shallower and a little longer,

It's only 1/2 inch (1+ cm) deep! Short of a slab . . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 pm

JimLewis wrote:
Last years pot, but shallower and a little longer,

It's only 1/2 inch (1+ cm) deep! Short of a slab . . . .

Lol, Ok so I forgot the scale we were working with here! How about one that appears shallower and lighter - say with shorter and less chunky feet and thinner walls. Actually thought of mentioning a longish thin slab ... it could work but don't typically like them.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  pootsie Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 am

Shohin upright juniper Jim-le11
For what it's worth
pootsie
pootsie

Back to top Go down

Shohin upright juniper Empty Bottom right branch

Post  gordonb Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 am

I love the overall feel of this tree; however, I find the bottom right branching confusing - is that 1 branch or 2? I think it would look a bit better with the top part removed [or at least less visible?]. Perhasp it is the back branch Boon was talking about? Anyway, in the photo it gives an impression of bar-branch, and I think it would look better with just the lower part

gordonb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down