Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK?

+4
Seth Ellwood
Harleyrider
mr treevolution
Kev Bailey
8 posters

Go down

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK? Empty Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Could you please tell me where the best place to collect quality yamadori are in the UK.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK? Empty Re: Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK?

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:32 pm

In your back garden I'd say! Wink
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK? Empty Re: Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK?

Post  mr treevolution Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:37 pm

I would follow that rather long nose you seem to be sporting at the moment, preferably towards some hills!
Didn't think a guy like yourself would need any help in finding good spots or have you just picked it clean your way?!
Regards Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 pm

There are a couple of good spots I recently visited, but unfortunately I was blinfolded by my guide, so I can't tell you how to get there.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:54 pm

in the woods or how about where trees grow clown

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 pm

By George! I think you may be on to something there, Seth.

Ssshh, though. We don't want everyone to know!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:27 am

Right here, seedlings have been cultivated since 1760..:

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK? Buckin10
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 am

somewhere i'd be thinking.......he wants to wear a crown, just see at noelanders he has one...... Very Happy

but giving an answer......to bad i haven't ...........seen a lot of London (don't have any trees at the rave scene)
on my way to bury i was to busy keeping eye on track (u left side drivers!).

love the country dough!
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK? Empty The reason for this post is simple....

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 am

The reason for this post is simple.... over the pond folk are 'happy' to let you know where to collect... nearer home you need to find it yourself Razz because abusing someones generosity has happened in the past.

Finding Yamadori in the UK is not difficult, a few 'basic' principles (what I have been showing Matt, Bob and Steve) and they will have a garden full in a couple of years... and in return, they will take me to places they have found (that's kinda the deal) Its knowing what to look for. The terrain, sheep, proximity to extreme weather factors.

and before you ask... I ain't tellin Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:34 pm

I fully understand the confusion between the way ideas are expressed on either side of the pond. However, please note that those of us in the colonies, while propossing copius ideas for finding the perfect trees, speak in generalities when describing where to find suitable yamadori material.

We aren't providing latitude and longitude of our preferred collection grounds. For that information, we're just as tight lipped as our East-of-the-Pond cousins.

As for me, I'm just now beginning the search for the bonsai grail!

JAy
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Take note that Tony said sheep. Don't be fooled into thinking goats will do just as well.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi,
I drive past this steep scarp slope in the Hampshire Downs frequently. All the texture in the pic is from 1000's of hawthorn judging by the sea of white you see in late spring.

Trouble is I'm too cheap to pay the £25 to see who owns it. It could be water board or even MOD (army) land as it is flanked by a sewage works and an old firing range.

Then again is could be a friendly farmer.

Maybe time for a Sunday stroll when the snow clears.

Some of the best looking hawthorns I see seem to all be clinging to motorway embankments.

Thks

TimR

Where are the best places to collect trees in the UK? Haw_sl10
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Wed May 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Ref the above.

I did check this location out end of last year and it is "public access" land that links into various rights of way inc the Itchen and South Downs Way so had a stroll around.

1000's of Potential hawthorn yamadori in evidence clinging to the steep slopes.

Whilst looking for the usual sea of white the other day- wishing to point it out to my wife- I was shocked to see that the whole slope has been cleared of trees. Brown scars are evident from half a mile away across the valley where it looks like they have all been grubbed out.

A bit more research reveals that this is probably Hampshire/IOW Wildlife Trust Reserve Land and

" The turf of this chalk grassland is rich in wild flowers, which support a host of scarce butterfly species. There are few other places where you can have such an enjoyable walk, particularly on a warm summer’s day surrounded by flowers and butterflies. To prevent the encroachment of scrub on the chalk grassland it is cleared over winter and grazing prevents it growing back. "

Seems a shame but there you go.

I'll have to be content with the self-seeded hawthorn yamadori that seem to be springing up all over the tree section of my allotment.

Thks

TimR

Last edited by wabashene on Wed May 04, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down