Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Spruce (slender & elegant design)

3 posters

Go down

European Spruce (slender & elegant design) Empty European Spruce (slender & elegant design)

Post  Thomas Urban Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:54 pm

Howdy, felt like posting another spruce that has been doing very well and I'm very excited for the big re-pot this spring.

Bought at the Trophy in 2020.
European Spruce (slender & elegant design) P_abie10

Very healthy and most likely has been in the trainer pot for years. Maybe 5-6 and now it's been in the pot for an additional 2 seasons since I've had it.

After the first styling.
European Spruce (slender & elegant design) P_abie11

Then the 2nd full styling this time at the end of the summer.
European Spruce (slender & elegant design) P_abie12

And a winter image.
European Spruce (slender & elegant design) P_abie13

What sort of pot would you select for this one? Cheers.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Chris Cochrane, Stevebonsai, Michigander and BonjourBonsai like this post

Back to top Go down

European Spruce (slender & elegant design) Empty Re: European Spruce (slender & elegant design)

Post  JPH Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:22 pm

Wonderful Spruce!

It gives me the impression of a long life battered by wind and snow. Very excited to see it progress!

I could see this tree planted on an interesting stone, or a ceramic that emulates it. I think it would compliment the textured bark nicely.

JPH
JPH

Back to top Go down

European Spruce (slender & elegant design) Empty Re: European Spruce (slender & elegant design)

Post  ilniele Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Good job, beautifil spruce!
A "nanban" pot?

ilniele

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 am

JPH wrote:Wonderful Spruce!

It gives me the impression of a long life battered by wind and snow. Very excited to see it progress!

I could see this tree planted on an interesting stone, or a ceramic that emulates it. I think it would compliment the textured bark nicely.

Thanks, I'll let the pads densify but yes, ideally I'd like to keep the alpine look. I just choose a ceramic this last weekend which should be a nice match. Feminine in design.

ilniele wrote:Good job, beautifil spruce!
A "nanban" pot?

Thank you! I just chose the pot over the weekend and I was considering a nanban with a rusty-brown patina look versus the one I went with. Both would suit it but I felt that the one I chose was a bit more feminine and would complement and grab a little more attention than the nanban. Plus the nanban had very strong feet which goes against the more feminine nature of the tree.

I'll post once it's paired up Smile.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed May 04, 2022 10:11 am

Update on this one. Absolutely on the physical limit with this beautiful pot by Miroslav Znamenacek.

European Spruce (slender & elegant design) Spruce11
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Chris Cochrane, MrFancyPlants, BonjourBonsai and JPH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  JPH Wed May 04, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm glad to see this tree doing well! I like the pot! Would you be open to some design suggestions? I could do a quick sketch and post it if you wish. However I totally respect if you want to go about it in your own way as it's very inspired (which is why I think I want to sketch it). Either way its a beautiful tree and you should be proud!

EDIT: Couldn't help myself. All I really did was change the angle slightly, jinned a few branches and brought things in tighter to the trunk... Sorry if I've overstepped some boundaries!  Embarassed Feel free to disregard! Very Happy

European Spruce (slender & elegant design) Img-9322
JPH
JPH

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:01 am

JPH wrote:I'm glad to see this tree doing well! I like the pot! Would you be open to some design suggestions? I could do a quick sketch and post it if you wish. However I totally respect if you want to go about it in your own way as it's very inspired (which is why I think I want to sketch it). Either way its a beautiful tree and you should be proud!

EDIT: Couldn't help myself. All I really did was change the angle slightly, jinned a few branches and brought things in tighter to the trunk... Sorry if I've overstepped some boundaries!  Embarassed Feel free to disregard!  Very Happy

European Spruce (slender & elegant design) Img-9322

Hey! absolutely! no worries at all, thank you for taking the time to draw this! It's very cool to see a completely different design and thought process. I'm inspired that you felt the need to create your own version! Smile It's growing fantastically and without a hitch which is awesome because I really went to work on the root system, to the point where I was a bit unsure. It will be left shaggy to photosynthesize and I might reduce some things after the summer heat during the vascular phase.

Thanks again for playing around with ideas. I'm very open to this type of dialogue and playing around with what trees could look like if some things were changed. By the way your drawing skills are great, this must have taken some time to sketch up!

T
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

JPH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  JPH Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:42 pm

No worries Thomas. It didn't take long at all. It was just sort of a spur-of-the-moment thing but I'm relieved you like it... I wasn't sure if I was "stepping on your toes" as far as design is concerned. I know it can be touch and go with some folks. I just really like your tree! I'm very happy it's thriving. Most of my spruce didn't make it through June... I posted about it on Bonsai Nut since it's much more active.

Can't wait to see this tree progress!

JPH
JPH

Thomas Urban likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down