Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help

3 posters

Go down

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help Empty I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help

Post  Flesh Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:58 am

So i went to buy a olive tree and ended up buying this. Not knowing anything about bonsai it just really looked good. Would like to know is is normal that now at the begining of winter has a lot of brown spots and if this type of bonsai is delicate to mantain. The tree is 2.4m tall Thank you

Flesh

Back to top Go down

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help Empty Re: I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help

Post  Flesh Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:01 am

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help Fd74e810

Flesh

Back to top Go down

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help Empty Re: I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help

Post  Flesh Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help 7c9b6810
I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help C4a33e10

Flesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:27 am

The brown foliage is dying off because it does not get enough light. If you want to keep the interior foliage it is important to prune so that it gets light. The pads on this tree are very thick so you can expect lots of die back on the bottom and interior of the pads.

In my opinion this is not a traditional bonsai, but rather a garden tree that has been styled in the pom-pom form. At 2.4 m tall it is far taller than most bonsai which are generally less than 1 m tall (there are exceptions). In addition, the foliage is out at the ends of the branches and we generally try to maintain foliage along the branches in most bonsai styles.

Marty Weiser

Dave Leppo likes this post

Back to top Go down

I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help Empty I bought Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Garden Bonsai and i need some help

Post  ivillaCanada Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 am

Hi Flesh:
I have had a "Boulevard" for close to 20 years. They can be good bonsai trees, but every year a significant portion of the foliage dies. To keep it healthy, every spring you need to get rid of the brown / dead foliage and pinch the tips to keep it short and promote growth inside instead of just in the tips. I hope that this helps.
ivillaCanada
ivillaCanada

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down