Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dovialis caffra (Kei Apple) - Grafting for Sex Change

Go down

Dovialis caffra (Kei Apple) - Grafting for Sex Change Empty Dovialis caffra (Kei Apple) - Grafting for Sex Change

Post  cosmos Sat May 02, 2020 5:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIN5F_FgXFI&t=166s&fbclid=IwAR0E4jCmxUjc2Vy2ukcr22sf9rXwmTzj_1quvE8NuhKP9xHrP6MOP2MDb2c

Dovialis caffra (Kei Apple) - Grafting for Sex Change Dovial10

Kei Apple, botanically known as Aberia caffra (or Dovialis caffra) is a dioecious tree i.e. you have male and female trees. 2 years ago I collected several fruits containing the seeds. From the seeds I got strong growing saplings in just 2 years. But you cannot tell which is a male or a female. It is the female which makes the edible fruit. As a bonsai, fruits add that special feature and I wanted to grow female trees for this reason. Since generally the seed ratio of male to female is 10:1 and one cannot tell which is which at the sapling stage, I thought to graft scions from a female tree onto these saplings. I also grafted such scions on branches of established male trees.

I truly hope that my endeavor is a success...time will tell...but I am willing to wait, after all experimenting is another joy that bonsai offers me.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down