Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida

3 posters

Go down

Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Empty Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida

Post  RadiantNemesis Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:10 am

Hello, to begin with I am fairly new into this, but I've kept looking at several ressources and bought books to help me start. So anyways, I've recently bought a Serissa Foetida at a specialized bonsai shop due to my interest into owning and creating a bonsai growing more and more.. I choosed one that I thought would look good and have potential but after several research online about possible style I've had an hard time to decide where to go from now on, mostly due to the trunk not starting straight and many other little detail that make me worry the tree might not be able to be made into one of the regular design and style we see, which is my goal with this tree.. Anyways, I just want advice and idea on which style would be fine for this tree to turn into, or even to tell me if this tree is even worth investing my time into.. Any answer is welcome, thank you. I've provided several picture for the said tree, which is still fairly young. I have personally not cut or touch any branch yet, as I don't want to mess with it before I know what I'm going to do.
Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Image012
Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Image112
Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Image212
Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Image310

RadiantNemesis

Back to top Go down

Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Empty Re: Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 pm

Sorry I don't have time now but look up Informal upright in your book. I think the current shape lends itself to that form.
the trunk doesn't have to come out of the soil straight. There's more possibilities too.

Someone will be along soon to help with a more extensive answer. Good luck with that tree.

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida Empty Re: Need help Styling/Pruning a young Serissa Foetida

Post  Marty Weiser Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:37 am

I do not have a serissa, but my understanding is that they can be a bit temperamental regarding changes of culture including changes of location. As a result the first step is to get it settled and happy in its new environment. I agree that an informal upright is a possible style since the trunk leaves soil at an angle and then bends back over the base. The biggest issue I see is that there are several long straight branches in the upper half of the tree that don't really fit with the lower section. I would cut out the longest, straightest one once the tree is settled a let it grow a bit. For example in the second picture there is a long straight line from about half way up that extends to the upper right. I would either cut back to the two branches about 1/3 of the way along this with the plan to cut out the main line just to its left later, or to cut all of the way off to use the main line. Then cut out another straight section. the goal is to get the branches with changes of direction along their length. Once you get rid of some of the long straight sections you will be able to start developing the overall canopy.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down