Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oak Saplings

3 posters

Go down

Oak Saplings Empty Oak Saplings

Post  Afellure Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 pm

As Kevin called it, the “March of progress” is strong in my area. I again have the opportunity to rescue some plants that will otherwise be bulldozed. Most of the trees are much too large and too old to even consider for use as bonsai, but there is a stand of oak sapling is that I would like to collect a few of. From what I have read, that is just about the only tree in my area that likes to be collected this time of the year. And actually from what I read on a Walter Pall article, they can actually prefer being collected this time of the year.
My question is this, what sort of precautions do I need to take in order to make sure that the high heat of this season doesn’t adversely affect the trees while digging/transporting them? Anything more than the usual keeping the roots wet and wrapping them with a plastic bag until I get them home? I have tried to do as much reading about oaks as I can, but is there anything largely different from other trees when dealing with oaks that I should know about? I haven’t really seen very many oaks in my area, and then when I was walking my dog I saw a construction crew setting up next to a hill so I walked up that way and asked them if they were going to be removing any of the plants in that area. They said they were going to be clear cutting the entire hillside. Like a square quarter-mile of trees that are beautiful Sad it makes me a bit sad, but at least I got permission to collect a few of the small ones and save them.

Afellure

Back to top Go down

Oak Saplings Empty Re: Oak Saplings

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:09 pm

read Harry Harringtons thoughts on the matter...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Afellure Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:45 am

I have looked and not been able to find much by Harry Harrington. More just references to him and his methods. But I can’t find anything actually written by him about oaks. Am I blind lol?

Afellure

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:06 am

His extensive site is called "Bonsai4me.com"

He's in the UK, so he focuses on English Oak.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Quercus.html

General collecting article:
http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATcollectring%20trees%20from%20the%20wild%20W%20Pall.htm

Once you're there, you should explore other articles and tips.

Kevin, was there a specific article on summer collecting?

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Afellure Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you! I hadn’t stumbled across that website yet. So much more information for me to read :-) doing all the reading I can ha ha. Ended up collecting a few Oaks, and they seem to be doing well so far. Going to have to put up a fence to the neighbors dog doesn’t wee on these ones and kill them too.

There are several oak stump‘s that have been cut down time and time again that I am going to try to get a friend to help me dig then up before they clear cut the hill.

Afellure

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Dave Leppo wrote:Kevin, was there a specific article on summer collecting?

Dave - He talks about it here:

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATquercus%20rootpruning%20and%20repotting.htm

again - he is in the UK, but he is dealing with a deciduous oak that goes fully dormant in the winter...
I have heard folks on this side of the pond having similar results...

I have one picked out but have not had the time yet to give it the initial trenching...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down