Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Witch's brom_larch

4 posters

Go down

Witch's brom_larch Empty Witch's brom_larch

Post  Vlad Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Well, this topic is not about my success in cultivating  bonsais from a witch's broom.  Sorry.  But maybe it is a first tap on my head to look for new direction.  

I have waken up in a beautiful sunny morning today, so it was not a difficult decision making process what I should do...  Visit to the local woodland with the idea to make a few shots of birches for a planned article on my blog.  So instead of spending the day with my eyes pointed at the ground I have changed the direction and spent a few hours with my head turned up.  What  a change.  Feeling like a stranger on places that are just a few miles from my home and I thought I knew them quite well Cool

Witch's broom on larch - 1 m wide.  How can I get a few grafts?

Witch's brom_larch 11112010
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Witch's brom_larch Empty Re: Witch's brom_larch

Post  M. Frary Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am

Climbing gear and an air layer. I know tamarack will layer so other latches might too.
I've not seen a witches broom on larch around here. Just pines.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm

The top is far too thin for my liking, Mike. I think I will get a rifle to shoot some branchlets for grafts... Cool

Kidding.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Vlad wrote:The top is far too thin for my liking, Mike. I think I will get a rifle to shoot some branchlets for grafts... Cool

Kidding.  
It would probably work well.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Witch's brom_larch Empty Strange larch seedlings.

Post  Vlad Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm

I have found this little larch seedling not far away the larch with the witch broom.   Just a coincidence but it looks quite different from the other seedlings in the area.  
1. It is still in full swing while the other seedlings in the area were either yellow or without needles.
2. Contrary to the other seedlings this one looks very, very compact.  

Larix d. compacta?  

Height: 10 cm
Needle: Normal size

As you can see the little guy has join me on the way back home.  Curious to see its development within next 2-3 years.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/18612061/186]Witch's brom_larch 01510
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Vlad wrote:I have found this little larch seedling not far away the larch with the witch broom.   Just a coincidence but it looks quite different from the other seedlings in the area.  
1. It is still in full swing while the other seedlings in the area were either yellow or without needles.
2. Contrary to the other seedlings this one looks very, very compact.  

Hi Vlad, how far do you live from Tchernobyl?...

Shocked

Kidding Laughing (though...)

Joking apart, this is a very nice find. Take good care of it.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:30 pm

AlainK wrote:

Hi Vlad, how far do you live from Tchernobyl?...

Well, if I start to think about that probably much closer than I thought pale

Look at this.

Witch's brom_larch 027_b10

This one is even bigger
Witch's brom_larch 032_b10

Four of them over 1m and some other ones in the making.  The same forest as the witch's broom.  
Witch's brom_larch 049_b10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Witch's brom_larch Empty CORRECTION & Offer

Post  Vlad Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am

The seedling I have collected is NOT Larix but Pinus strobus.

Just in case anybody is interested to have it - it is available for free. In case of shipment - the cost of postage to be covered by the new owner.   The offer is open till the end of Sept.  Then I will return the seedling back to the woods.

Witch's brom_larch 006_b17

Witch's brom_larch 007_b14
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 pm

It still looks like a witch's broom of strobus, worth hanging on to I think. Regulations would probably not allow to ship across the pond or I would take you up. Is strobus a common tree over there? I know they use it for forestry worldwide, but surprised it would have naturalize to have seedlings around. We have sylvestris planted around many of our highways, but I don't know that I've ever seen a seedling.

The growth does look course like a strobus, but shorter needles and way many more internodes(witches broom).

Those mounds are creepy. Any idea what they are from?

David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am

There are no other five needle pines in our region so it should be P. strobus. And the woods close to my place is quite full of it including naturally spread seedlings. Introduced to our country at the beggining of 19th century. In some areas - nature reserves - is labeled as invasive as it takes over the space previously occupied by sylvestris.

Ant's hill - mainly needles & twigs & sand.

Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum