Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva...

+5
my nellie
Tom Simonyi
Vitusus
BobbyLane
Vlad
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Empty Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva...

Post  Vlad Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 am

2009.  A year possibly two after the collection
Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Pict0010

2015.  Major part of the trunk hollowed naturally by an unknown larva.  All the carving job has been done under the cover of the bark.

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Front10

2015 winter image
Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... F10

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 05110

Height +/- 90 cm.  Despite the fact that the little birch looks quite close to my plans for the current level of its development  it doesn´t look well.  And here I am not thinking about the apparent bonsai craft flaws.  What I mean is that the tree doesn't look as the birches in the local woodlands.   I am really struggling how to convey the natural look of wild birches on a birch in a pot?  I am sure it cannot be too realistic because of the different scale, but how to strike the right balance between the reality and bonsai dreams?     

The 2018 will be a year of searching for the answers Cool
Vlad
Vlad

Paulo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Empty Re: Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva...

Post  BobbyLane Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:16 am

Its getting there isnt it Vlad....just needs more ramification. Going to be a great birch, great movement in the trunk. Its got that creepy look which suits it.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Empty Re: Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva...

Post  Vlad Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:44 pm

BobbyLane wrote:Its got that creepy look which suits it.

Exactement Bobby. Thats why I have posted it today... Cool
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Lovely tree, I love the curves.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 pm

Very nice progression Vlad....lovely tree...

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Very nice, I love it!
Lovely 3rd photo, beautiful shadowing.
Vlad wrote:... ... What I mean is that the tree doesn't look as the birches in the local woodlands.   I am really struggling how to convey the natural look of wild birches on a birch in a pot?  I am sure it cannot be too realistic because of the different scale, but how to strike the right balance between the reality and bonsai dreams?
Dear Vladimir, let me be daring and say that in bonsai dreams in order to recreate the magic of those wild birches which speak to your soul, you should recreate their details.  
With this in mind, you can use the existing physical features of your beautiful tree as the available structural elements of your design and then create more new elements that will be used for the final synthesis.
Your vision will guide you, no doubt Very Happy
But perhaps it's the intense movement in the trunk which bothers you...? Birches are such straight and high trees... Just wondering... Mind not my rant...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you guys for your kind comments.

my nellie wrote:
But perhaps it's the intense movement in the trunk which bothers you...? Birches are such straight and high trees... Just wondering...

You are right Alexandra. The movement is one of my "happy troubles" with this tree.
I do like trees with some dynamics, but the second curve of the main trunk is a bit excessive, even for me Wink and there is also a thickening on the main trunk that creates a reverse taper. So it attracts too much attention to this area.

I will cover my attempts to adjust the flaws on my blog next year. And I will share the results here in a due time Cool

Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 pm

I do visit your blog, not very often though... Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 am

I wonder if the sense of loss of balance is not due to the curves, but the planting angle:  The tree seems to be off centre?  THis is the angle that the centre line from the apex to the middle of the trunk at ground level looks like:

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 38249408576_8cd6b1d682_c2017-11-10_08-56-44 by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

By contrast the tree has its angle over to one side, as if tipped over:

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 24433719178_211c335a02_c2017-11-10_08-59-10 by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

It might help a lot just to change the planting angle very slightly?

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 26529668529_145a94b3d4_c2017-11-10_09-00-17 by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 am

@Brendan:   Thank you very much for your time to make your proposal.   You are right.  The planting angle really bother a number of my colleaques Cool

8° to the right?

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 051_8d10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I think so?

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Great. this is going to be fixed.  Then some other styling/cultivation flaws will be also addressed in a couple of next seasons.  

Nevertheless the main point raised by Alexandra is still there:  How to transfer the feminine beauty of birches in the pot?
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Vlad wrote:Great. this is going to be fixed.  Then some other styling/cultivation flaws will be also addressed in a couple of next seasons.  

Nevertheless the main point raised by Alexandra is still there:  How to transfer the feminine beauty of birches in the pot?

Its a feminine tree, just put it in a soft oval?................i personally think you've nailed it, it looks like a birch, there really isnt much more you can do here, it doesnt look contrived like some birches where you can see the bend in the branches has been forced. it looked even more feminine in 2015 when you had some of the branches turning back at the ends. Ryan neil recently did a vid on a weeping tamarisk when he had what he called a 'stepping arc' different planes where the branch rises up and down and up down again, on the tamarisk this resulted in a more fairy tale/creepy tree. you could try that maybe if going for the more creepy look
this birch here https://www.flickr.com/photos/63957852@N06/16968254696/in/faves-138823275@N03/ some of the branches are going up down up down
i think you could try getting more movement in that fits with the flow of the trunk, instead of following the natural arc to the letter, try keeping the arcs, but getting some twists in there, note the birch above, as i say in 2015 there was more sinuous, feminine movement where some of the branches arced twice?

re the inverse, maybe next time youre out in the woods, look out for a fitting rock and plant it against the tree, ive seen a lot of birch growing out from rock Very Happy
Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 23517678_1539232846141751_6139851820403955972_n
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:51 am

@Bobby I do like your database of images. There are great trees. Very inspirational.
"stepping arc" Interesting and very true. You can definitely find it on the trees in the nature. Thank you for your ideas.

I am planning to put together some of my thoughts on birches - sorry, only on my blog as I will use a few images from other guys. Nevertheless the progress of this birch will be updated here.

Just for now I have highlighted the most challenging points - for me - that I need to take care of.
I. The pic = cross section of the lower trunk that should indicate a callus formation there. If I leave it alone, it will just cover the existing wood - brownish arrows. I need to "raise" it as indicated by the red lines - so in the end there is a real sizeable hollow. This will make the trunk more realistic and it will also help with the taper ( But I do believe that the taper will be solved by the time as the lower parts will get thicker )
II. Position of the back branch - a shame on me letting it grow into this angle
III. A reverse taper and the angle of the trunk line there.

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Though10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Ill let you get on with it Vlad, much clearer having the tree in front of you anyway Wink
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Obviously you should come to Prague, Bobby... Wink
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Krasna Birch, Vlad : )

I was reading through some of the former comments and I don't feel there is a loss of balance just because the apex is not directly above the base or nebari. The nebari by the way is excellent, how you managed to find them like this is amazing. I have a Betula waiting for me this spring but it has the ugliest base one could imagine.

Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Thomas Urban wrote: The nebari by the way is excellent, how you managed to find them like this is amazing. I have a Betula waiting for me this spring but it has the ugliest base one could imagine.

Thank you, Thomas.

The surface roots were improved by a threadgrafting to some extent Cool . You can find some details either on my blog or on bonsaigreenhorns. In fact both of my birches presented here have a number of grafted roots to improve the nebari.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Empty rusty rod with squash ball

Post  Vlad Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Sunny day in mid October...

Somewhere in the middle of the leaf fall...

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 012_ib10

Height of the rod: 110 cm
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... Empty in my mind ... it´s a little bit to high...

Post  holgermueller Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:34 pm

i would cut it like this... sorry about my bad english...
Hollow trunk_birch carved by a larva... 012_ib10

holgermueller

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Thank you, Holger, for an interesting drawing. What is your rationale about the reduced size of the crown?
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  holgermueller Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:59 pm

In my opinion, the tree is more in balance. Height fits so better to the trunk diameter. Greetings from Germany

holgermueller

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:21 am

Do you mean balance = stability or balance = better trunk diameter x height ratio?
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  holgermueller Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm

definitly better trunk diameter x height ratio!
But it´s only my mind... greetings from Germany Holger

holgermueller

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Different views and open discussion are engines of our development.

Thank you, Holger, for your time and effort.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next