Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Failure to Launch-please help.

5 posters

Go down

Failure to Launch-please help. Empty Failure to Launch-please help.

Post  grazbass Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Hello all: New to this forum, new to Bonsai growing . I have what I believe to be a Japanese Black Pine that I've been trying to get to thrive for about 1 year. Some notes about my premie: Lives indoors, adequate sunlight, no fertilizer as of yet. I felt I germinated/planted it in a too large pot to begin with (pictured) and was fearful to try to move it..It is my hope that my pictures will help you to help me. Thanks so much.

grazbass

Back to top Go down

Failure to Launch-please help. Empty photos from grazbass

Post  grazbass Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Failure to Launch-please help. Bonsai14
Failure to Launch-please help. Bonsai15

grazbass

Back to top Go down

Failure to Launch-please help. Empty Re: Failure to Launch-please help.

Post  Marty Weiser Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Most trees from temperate and colder regions such as pines need some downtime during the year to get ready for the next growth flush. Since I doubt that you chill the inside to near freezing for a month or two during the winter that is my guess as to why it is not doing well. I have heard of folks in tropical areas storing their temperate trees in a freezer or refrigerator, but it is a lot of work and they rarely thrive. The same argument applies to those of us in temperate climates that insist on growing tropicals - we can bring them inside for the winter, but they will survive and not thrive.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:41 pm

If you keep it indoors, it will die.

Try Chinese elm, they will survive a bit longer if you can keep it in an unheated room.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am

It needs simply to go outside and stay there. Make sure it does not dry out. But you will wait 30 years before that becomes a "bonsai".

I recommend buying something from a nursery that you can actively work on to create a bonsai. More fun, and much more rewarding.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Alain and Brendan are spot on with their advice. I enjoy growing stuff from seed, but the long slow process is enough to deter most newcomers, unless they have enough other plants to keep them interested.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Failure to Launch-please help. Empty failure to launch

Post  grazbass Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your informative and gracious replies. It is now October 2017 in the Philadelphia PA area and I am going to start placing my pine outside. I shall explore other Bonsai options as suggested, but the equity I have in my pine urges me to at least try to get it to thrive albeit not as a Bonsai

grazbass

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down