Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prunus Mahaleb

+6
Jeffery Paul
yamasuri
John Quinn
Gary Jones
BobbyLane
jamb
10 posters

Go down

Prunus Mahaleb Empty Prunus Mahaleb

Post  jamb Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:17 am

Hi, any ideas for this prunus?
Prunus Mahaleb 2016-111

jamb

Back to top Go down

Prunus Mahaleb Empty Re: Prunus Mahaleb

Post  BobbyLane Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Ive no experience with this species, looks like interesting material though. i think there are too many branches and it all looks a bit untidy and congested in areas. think you need to select what branches you intend to keep and prune off leggy growth, crossing branches, branches that snake back etc, get some order into the congested bits. then let it grow out and cut back, rinse, repeat.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Jones Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:26 pm

I agree. It looks like it needs a tidy up, a bit of weeding and a good pot and you'll have a lovely tree there.

Gary Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:33 pm

The basic form is already there and it shows great potential There have been numerous posts on the IBC regarding this species. Enter the species name in the Google search on the home page and you will get a few dozen results which may give you further ideas.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:30 am

Very strong. Need little refinement and all beauty is there
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeffery Paul Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:10 am

This tree has unlimited possibilities, It's what dreams are made of....

Jeffery Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeffery Paul Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:13 am

think multi trunk multi, multi trunk

Jeffery Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:11 pm

my only idea is to have fun with this outstanding piece of material and throw convention out of the window !!!

embrace its wildness !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Nice material you have there!
Needs a good sort out as already suggested. Furthermore, I would consider some change to the potting angle.
And just like Kevin said, keep its wildness and naturalness at all costs!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  jamb Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:05 am

I did a small project, what do you think.
Prunus Mahaleb 111

jamb

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Providing the white parts indicate possible sections of a dead wood then my first feeling would be: hey this guy really loves junipers...Smile

If the tree is mine then I would try to replace all those newly produced straight branches with new ones with more movement. Then I would try to create a kind of an "airy" look - just a few main branches with some ramification - similar to the structure of branches on a bunjin : ( the main trunks of the mahaleb show a lot of fights to survive in harsh conditions - the branches should reflect that strugle too ). IF the tree is mine. And luckily this is not the case pirat

You have acquired a really nice and I believe quite old yamadori. Looking forward to seeing its development.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  jamb Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 am

some other pics
Prunus Mahaleb 114
Prunus Mahaleb 212
Prunus Mahaleb 312
Prunus Mahaleb 412
Prunus Mahaleb 511
Prunus Mahaleb 611

jamb

Back to top Go down

Post  jamb Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 am

other
Prunus Mahaleb 711
Prunus Mahaleb 811
Prunus Mahaleb 911
Prunus Mahaleb 1011
Prunus Mahaleb 1111

jamb

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:52 pm

I like this tree, very much so.

I like the current potting angle, I would not change it. To my eye, especially the initial photo, looks like the original owner tried to depict a windswept tree, but did not follow through. I don't think this tree would benefit from being turned into a windswept tree.

I think as is it paints a lovely picture, but needs refinement.

Every branch, the straight sections should get shorter and shorter after each time the branch forks, or branches. Each level of ramification should be shorter extension than the previous. Many of your branches are long and straight after branching. You need to get in there and shorten them all up in late winter, or in spring right after it has bloomed.

After you have shortened branches, to get the segment lengths in scale, you can then go through and remove excess branches in areas that are too dense. I would do the shortening first, then select which to keep, because part of the crowded appearance is branches that are too long, which if you remedy that first, then it will seem more sparse. If you thin it out first, then select go back and shorten branches it may end up too bare in areas where you would want more foliage.

I really like it as is, you should be able to keep most of the branches that are there.

After you have done the shortening, and then the thinning, consider lowering the apex. There is a long straight section of trunk leading to the current apex. You might want to shorten that. But I would do the branch shortening and thinning first. Then contemplate the new image before making any further design changes.

Nice tree. I would love to have one like that on my bench.

I would keep it in larger than ideal pot, to encourage growth, until you get a few more levels of branch ramification, then consider a display pot. I would look for a dark blue or multicolored but dark glazed pot to set off the bright white of the flowers. If you plan to show it with fruit, a lighter colored glazed pot would be appropriate, as the fruit is very blue-purple. My inclination is to use a contrasting color rather than a matching color. But that is my taste.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Leo, I like very much the way that you approach any tree! The same you have done for me in the past. I really admire this kind of detailed response!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down