Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here ,question about Jade tree

4 posters

Go down

New here ,question about Jade tree Empty New here ,question about Jade tree

Post  paulorbvalley Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi all
Just registered here because i followed a link in pinterest ! Saw a jade tree.My question is ,how do i reduce the leaf size on a Jade tree.,and when is the best time to do it?
thanks
Paul

paulorbvalley

Back to top Go down

New here ,question about Jade tree Empty Re: New here ,question about Jade tree

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:24 pm

i do not know that actual "jade" leaves can be reduced...
i also do not know that they can't be reduced Wink

what i do know is that you would be better off with what many call a dwarf jade
which is not really a jade, but instead is a portulacaria afra, aka spekboom in its native afrikaans

plug that into the search feature here and you will see what i mean...

(i believe a proper jade is a crassula or something like that...?)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Hmmm, 'better off' is a very subjective term. Portulacaria afra(elephant bush) and crassula ovata(jade) are said to thrive under similar growing conditions. I personally have poor luck with the elephant bush while my jades grow like mad, so I might say you're better off with jades(but I won't). Both types have marvelous examples of bonsai after a quick internet search of images. Leaf size can be reduced, see bonsai4me.com. Also, there is a specific cultivar called 'small leaf jade' you can at least buy online, if not purchase locally.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:32 pm

I've been growing both Crassula Ovata, and some other Crassulas, as well as Portulacaria Afra in the last couple years. They are my favorite tropicals's as they dont need much water or fertilizer, and are quite hardy. Getting to your first question, yes leaf size can be reduced. Second question, there are some confounding issues as to when you should do this. If you have developed your branch structure to the point where you are happy, you can then go ahead and defoliate the tree. I say this because once you defoliate development will slow dramatically as they arent the fastest growers as it is.

If in good health, which it should be if you decide to reduce the leaf size, you can expect it to begin pushing new leaves as early as 2-3 weeks. I'm going to assume that you have or are bringing your trees in for the season based on your location. As such, my recommendation is to defoliate your trees just before you bring them out in the spring. I say this because keeping as many leaves on your tree through the winter will help it maintain strength. Also by defoliating it in the spring and then sitting it out you don't have to worry about any leaf burn, yes it happens, and your tree will have the whole growing season to push new leaves and gain back as much strength as possible.

I hope this helps you!

Cheers

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down