Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it

5 posters

Go down

Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Empty Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it

Post  tbarkley Tue May 31, 2016 10:58 am

I built a display / work bench over this Memorial Day weekend. It stands about 40 inches tall, about 28 inches wide, and about 60 inches long.
The frame consists of 10 - 2x4x8 with not much scrap left over.
Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Frame10

For the work surfaces, I used 5 - 12 feet long decking boards and had very little scrap left over. The inside corners of the bottom shelf were cut to fit around the corner posts.
Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Comple10

Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Corner10

Then I just threw some trees on it to see what it would look like.
Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Loaded10

The wheels I picked up at Harbor Freight for about $9 each, they will support 300 lbs. The axles are 5/8 threaded rod, about $9 each at Home Depot, the lumber is from Lowe's.
Over all, I am pleased with how it came out. I can roll it any where in the yard to follow any sunlight or shade.
Thanks for letting me share. Smile
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Empty Re: Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it

Post  John Quinn Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Looks good and sturdy too. Thanks for sharing.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it Empty Re: Work Bench / Display Cart / Extra Space - Whatever you want to call it

Post  tbarkley Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:13 am

Thank you sir! Smile
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 pm

you might want to consider heavy gauge wire for the top as an alternative to the decking if using to keep trees on it...
that way light can get through to the ones on the bottom...

i have several rolling carts, work benches etc and being mobile is great !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Snake, thanks for the comment, I thought of that, but I figured I would use decking for those that needed/wanted a little more shade. I have about 2 acres of area if they want more sun. This bench will stay pretty near a huge pecan tree I have right behind the house. Besides, that's where my "porch" swing is (on a frame). In the late summer, I'll grab a handful of grapes off the vine, take a glass of Pepsi with me, and sit on the swing and watch the young deer play in the field. Nothin' like bein' in the country!!!
Whatchathink? Cool
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Nice!

Could you have used only one plank per upright corner? I was planning on knocking something similar together myself but with only a single vertical per corner. Your pics make me wonder if there's a flaw in my design, or if you just wanted to do it like this but could just as easily have done it differently?

Cheers

Brendan

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:28 am

Brendan, I guess I could have used one corner piece, but I build stuff very sturdy. It's a fault of mine. I wouldn't have any concerns putting my whole family on this thing..... plus my dog. It will last many years. Hope this helps.
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:37 am

The double boards in the corners forming an "L" shape will make the cart much more resistant to shear by increasing the joint area between the vertical and horizontal members. This means you can push on the top from any direction and the joint will not bend - you will just push the cart over. If you want to make it lighter, I would suggest using 1x stock (3/4 inch, 19 mm thick) rather than 2x stock (1.5 inch, 38 mm thick). You could also probably use 1 x 3 (2.5 inches, 6.35 cm wide) stock as well, particularly if you used some good waterproof (very water resistant in reality) glue for all of the joints.

Marty

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down