Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White pine Jakarta, future cascade

2 posters

Go down

White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Empty White pine Jakarta, future cascade

Post  Indo Andreas Tue May 10, 2016 12:03 pm

This pine I found searching for Junipers, what was pleasantly, this tree had double the branches as any other that where to sell.

The trunk had a nice root curving on it too, these I like to expose in the future.

I took off the needle on the trunk, I changed the medium from rice husk to lava sand/compost ratio 3-1. As seen on the root picture, the medium had some dry spots in the husk.
The tree will be left alone until it has adjusted, then I will start bending it down to start the cascade. They are quite easy to bend but I still lack the desired experience.

I got one tree done 2 years back, pictures to follow (different topic). Any tips are highly welcomed. Again same like Juniper, pines are not native to the tropics, the seasons are missing, therefore new cones are coming at will, at any time, here my question, when do you actually cut the cones correctly on white pine? On my other tree I did it without experience, some have split and build new shoots (1-3) and others are only one. Any tips welcomed.

White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0137
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0139
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0142
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0138
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0141
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0140
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0149
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0143
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0148
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0145
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0144
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0146
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0147

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Empty Re: White pine Jakarta, future cascade

Post  Indo Andreas Wed May 11, 2016 1:33 am

I posted this same topic on another forum, they say it may not be a white pine, so let see what they come up with, that may change the handling on this tree.

Any suggestion??

I plan to develop, the side branches, when the cascade comes down, after the root system is strong enough. The needle on the main trunk will all die off during bending, if I would not have taken them off, they will when the wiring take place.

I started, this tree 2-3 years back with an Indonesian friend he gave me some input, but it is just hanging in there and for sure its not treated right, so I am looking for positive suggestions to get the new one on its way.

[attachment:1]IMG_0205.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:2]IMG_0206.jpg[/attachment]

White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0215
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0216

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Empty Re: White pine Jakarta, future cascade

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed May 11, 2016 12:58 pm

assuming you recently did all that work, the main thing i would do is: nothing.

just let it recover for now... generally speaking, it is never a good idea to immediately bare-root a pine... the soil it came in should be gradually removed over several years and subsequent repots... pines tend to have a symbiotic relationship with their substrate due to the presence of mychorizza (sp?), so if you did not introduce any when you did the repot, i would suggest doing so (if it is not too late)... just sprinkle it on the soil and gently work it in with a chopstick...

while it is recovering i would definitely find out exactly what it is and then plan candle/needle work accordingly (again - after recovery)

thats all i can offer as pines are not my strong suit (yet) but i am learning...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Indo Andreas Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Thats good information, thank you, I could for the new one take soil of the old, than make a worm/pine mychorizza cast energy mix, that would spread then everywhere in the new soil.
Thanks for the tip, will do it first in the morning.

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  Indo Andreas Wed May 25, 2016 4:30 am

Here an update, the pine is doing just fine, the treatment of Garden Tee and applying some soil of my previous pine, the scrub and some red worms have an positive impact, all clear for the tree its growing. New buds are showing, and candles are growing too, one candle on top must have got hit, that is all whats not good.
I moved the plant from little afternoon sun, to the other side, that gives 3 hours morning sun, in a week or two it goes full sun.
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0510
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0511
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0513
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0513
White pine Jakarta, future cascade  Img_0512

Indo Andreas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down