Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spruce pruning

+5
juniper07
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
BrendanR
Marty Weiser
Vitusus
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Spruce pruning - Page 2 Empty Re: Spruce pruning

Post  Vitusus Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Spruce pruning - Page 2 Smraek11
Spruce pruning - Page 2 Smraek10

Hello everyone, today I repotted my spruce, the pot was full of roots, everything entangled, so it was about time.

The one thing I would like to work on this year is bringing the foliage closer to the trunk, the tree has quite a lot of buds placed a bit closer to the trunk, so once all of them open and the first flush of growth hardens, I'll do some pruning to make it a bit more compact.

One thing I am worried about though is the fact that on most levels, there are usually two branches at the same height but I am not sure about whether to cut some of them or not, I still think that would be too little of them left on the tree and it wouldn't look good. What do you think?

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Spruce pruning - Page 2 Empty Re: Spruce pruning

Post  AlainK Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Yes, it's a bit of a problem, although perhaps a bonsai doesn't really have to match all the norms of Japanese bonsai.

Having it backbud on 1,2,3 year-old branches requires "advanced" technique (google "Harrington + picea), and it's even more difficult on older branches.

But it's got a promissing nebari. Perhaps bending down the branches even more (a 30° angle to the trunk) would give an impression it fills out more: picture yourself an umbrella. When it's open, then when you unfold it it looks as if there's more fabric between the "spokes", the "rods", whatever you call them Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2