Black Spots on Eugenia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black Spots on Eugenia

Post  chadley999 on Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi everyone, recently I've noticed the leaves changing color on my Eugenia. I thought they were just fading from red to green but now black spots have appeared. Can anyone tell me whats going on and if i can do anything to help?

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Spots on Eugenia

Post  Leo Schordje on Mon May 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Sooty mold, powdery mildew, or one of many fungi that can attack leaves.

If you fix the environment, often the tree can recover without the use of fungicides.

I assume, because you are in Canada, that this is grown indoors. You need more air movement in your indoor growing space. I keep several fans on in my orchid light garden, they are small, cheap fans from local big box store. I position fans so all plants are exposed to a light breeze, enough to keep thin grassy leaves waving. I leave fans on 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Improve your air movement, and the fungus should stop spreading, may even disappear.

If it is on all leaves, pick up a rose spray for "black spot" on roses. Should be available from any big box store or nursery. Should work for Eugenia.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 on Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks Leo, i do have a fan but haven't been running it much. Hopefully it will clear up soon. Today was actually the first day i put any sensitive tropicals out. I would guess if i can put it outside that would be better than any amount of air movement indoors?

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje on Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 pm

yes, outdoors in summer helps. I'm in Chicago area and it is still too cold for my tropicals. I don't put tropicals outside until night time lows are above 50 F or above 15 C. If the tropicals are in active growth, cold can shock them, you will loose leaves, and the tree will sit dormant for a while before resuming growth. The cold won't kill them, but you will loose time in the growing season. Our summer growing seasons are short enough, that having a tree in shock and needing a few weeks to recover is not ideal.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 on Tue May 17, 2016 2:57 pm

I hear you on the short growing season. Everything sensitive is back in again for a couple weeks yet. Only my jade have been out for any length of time

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:31 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum