Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help identify this boxwood tree

5 posters

Go down

Need help identify this boxwood tree Empty Need help identify this boxwood tree

Post  tnkp Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Hello,
I found this boxwood tree and curious what kind of boxwood variety is it? I did google a bit ... looks like only kingsville boxwood being used for bonsai! Is that correct? How can one identify what variety is it if there are 72 of them?

Need help identify this boxwood tree Boxwoo10

Thanks,
Tim

tnkp

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 pm

I have an unidentified one as well.It is not young,so I assume it is a tropical variety(as most of them are) or it would have died down here form a lack of dormancy.Yes,everyone uses Kingsville and the other European one but so what.If the leaves are small and it back buds readily,with good bark and nebari,as mine does and has-well-give it a shot. Exclamation And a warm welcome to IBC.

Last edited by geo on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp and punct.)
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Need help identify this boxwood tree Empty Re: Need help identify this boxwood tree

Post  steveb Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:29 am

I don't know the variety but do know that Kingsville boxwoods are not the only boxwoods used for bonsai. 

Thanks
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

Need help identify this boxwood tree Empty Re: Need help identify this boxwood tree

Post  Zach Smith Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:45 am

tnkp wrote:Hello,
I found this boxwood tree and curious what kind of boxwood variety is it? I did google a bit ... looks like only kingsville boxwood being used for bonsai! Is that correct? How can one identify what variety is it if there are 72 of them?

Thanks,
Tim
Looks like common or English boxwood, Buxus sempervirens.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:27 am

So do several of the tropical species.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:11 pm

I don't know the species but boxwoods, generally, are good for bonsai. Go for it!

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  tnkp Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Thank you all. I agree. Regardless of the species I will go for it. The tree is about 15 years old and has a nice taper/trunk.

Thanks,
Tim

tnkp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down