Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression of a Casuarina

+28
Andre Beaurain
giufo
luke308
efishn
Xavier de Lapeyre
Bob Pressler
Russell Coker
Sam Ogranaja
Ka Pabling
Robert Steven
Tona
Brett Summers
xuan le
greenstar
Paul Landis
William Feldman
John Quinn
Rob Kempinski
Norma
Jaco Kriek
irene_b
Pavel Slovák
Ed Trout
hiram
cosmos
anttal63
Rob Addonizio
dorothy7774
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Progression of a Casuarina Empty Progression of a Casuarina

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:57 am

This collected Casuarina (2004) went from regrowing the branches twice, to having Ed Trout masterly styled it in a demo in 2008, me fiddeling with it again (did not finish the sharis yet) to eventually showing it yesterday at an informal event in a shopping mall !

Progression of a Casuarina Bsswfl10

And the little brother Casuarina was on stage too..

Progression of a Casuarina Bsswfl11

Progression of a Casuarina Casuar16
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Progression of a Casuarina Empty Re: Progression of a Casuarina

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Haha! I forgot to add the pics on which the progression was based! Here we go:

Progression of a Casuarina Casuar17

Progression of a Casuarina Casuar18

Progression of a Casuarina Casuar19
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:38 pm

This tree is making nice progress! I love the movement in the trunk Smile

Thanks for sharing,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 pm

awesome dorothy; we love our cassa's down here. cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Progression of a Casuarina Empty Casuarina

Post  cosmos Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Very nice tree. Thanks for sharing.

What do you use to treat the deadwood on casuarina?

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 pm

I would hardly call it fiddling Dorothy!! You've improved it no end....Excellent!!

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Dorothy, i was there at that demo. it was an awesome demo an awesome tree. Ed like always did a beautiful job. I met you in our show in 2008, Bonsai Society of Miami. You gave me great feedback on my Escambron. Well nice to see the tree is doing great. Keep up the progress.

Hiram
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Dorothy,

Beautiful job. That is a special tree, and I am anxious to see it in a couple more years. I have one suggestion that you may want to consider for the future. The tree as it is, is telling a story from the ground upward. The beautiful twisting shari at the base, that disappears around the side. The jin halfway up ( great carving by the way ), continues the story of a tree battling nature, winning it's battles, but showing the scars. I like the fact that you jinned the first branch on the left...great move ! Once you get good tertiary growth on the crown, and maybe a couple more strategic branches, you might want to consider creating a prominate jin in the crown itself, something more than the one on the left. Jin an entire branch all the way out to the ends, or jin just the ends of a couple of branches, or maybe a jinned apex. This would not "finish" the story that the tree is telling, but would show that the battle continues. I've seen your magic on juniper jins & sharis, and I think it would work great on this tree. And please ask Ernie to look out for an aussie pine like this for me !!!!

Best Wishes,
Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Dorothy, really beautiful work. Congratulations. Very Happy Best regards Pavel S.
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 am

Rob,

thank you! By the way I love your pottery, just beautiful!

Antonio,

thanks, do you have any pics of Casuarinas you can share?

Cosmos,

thanks, I use Woodhardener with or without prior limesulphur treatment. If I use limesulphur I buffer the wood in between applications. I don't know if it helps, but the wood seems to get extra dense by doing that.

Will,
thank you. I find your trees utmost inspiring and beautiful!

Hiram,

I agree, Ed's demos are always great and well attended, packed actually. He set the standards for Bonsai in Florida long time ago.
I fondly remember your tree, Hiram. Care to post a picture of your Escambron?

Ed!

I am glad you like my follow up on the tree, thank you.
The reason I took the branch off is actually twosided. Once, the branch did not seem to get any character like the other branches, it was just different. And the other reason is that I decided to go for a literati rather than a tall tree. Personal preference I guess.
You are right with the consistency of the story, I will try to integrate "a piece of the battle" in the upper area. The branch I took off would have been a candidate for it, but then again I would have had a tall tree; a jin is like half of a nagative space, not enough to ignore it. Wink
By the way, I do have a near twin of this tree in training. However, it is only 10 inches tall.. Ernie will keep his eyes open and my shuffle ready.

Pavel,

thank you very much. I admire your work!

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:12 am

Dorothy this tree is Fantastic!
My first love is Literati as well.
Irene

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:20 am

irene_b wrote:Dorothy this tree is Fantastic!
My first love is Literati as well.
Irene

Thank you Irene. I am still working to finish the shari, especially the large one. It is supposed to disappear to the back of the tree meandering towards this natural shari:

Progression of a Casuarina Casuar20

Progression of a Casuarina Casuar23 Progression of a Casuarina Casuar24

Last edited by dorothy7774 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding renderings)
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 am

Hi Dorothy

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean when you say you buffer the wood in between applications of lime sulphur?
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:29 pm

Jaco Kriek wrote:Hi Dorothy

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean when you say you buffer the wood in between applications of lime sulphur?

Jaco,

I buffer (polish) the wood when the limesulphur has dried up and prior to the last coat. It is probably only psychological.. Wink

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi Dorothy,

Just a quick question ... what do you use to buff the wood ? I'm picturing you with a shoe brush or Question Question

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Norma wrote:Hi Dorothy,

Just a quick question ... what do you use to buff the wood ? I'm picturing you with a shoe brush or Question Question

Norma

Norma,

I use this:

Progression of a Casuarina Buffer10
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Love the drawings Dorothy! Will you promise to photograph the progressive styling/ carving for us? Does the bark spiral naturally or will you have to take it slowly. I dont know this species at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 am

I like the spiral shari - very dramatic. However, I was advised recently by several southeastern Asians that dead wood on a Casuarina is a no go as the long term survivability of the deadwood wood is not good. I have started to notice this on one of my Casuarina sharis so maybe you shari will end up as a hollow. At the recent ASPAC none of the wonderful Casuarina's had exposed sharis. Here is an example. No shari and no visible chop scar.

Progression of a Casuarina Aussy_10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:51 am

will baddeley wrote:Love the drawings Dorothy! Will you promise to photograph the progressive styling/ carving for us? Does the bark spiral naturally or will you have to take it slowly. I dont know this species at all.

Will,

I'll keep you posted with the progression. The bark on this particular specimen does indeed naturally twist. I just went slower as I was still in the planning process as to how to proceed with the shari(s) after I was informed about what Rob is saying.

Rob Kempinski wrote:I like the spiral shari - very dramatic. However, I was advised recently by several southeastern Asians that dead wood on a Casuarina is a no go as the long term survivability of the deadwood wood is not good. I have started to notice this on one of my Casuarina sharis so maybe you shari will end up as a hollow. At the recent ASPAC none of the wonderful Casuarina's had exposed sharis. Here is an example. No shari and no visible chop scar...

Rob,

Jose Louis told me the same thing some time ago. That was when I had already created the shari in the front of this tree. I then suspended the further progression until I would have a plan as to how best to preserve the deadwood and as to how to best "finish" the shari. For now I am applying multiple layers of limesulphur while buffering the suface each time. After the limesulphur I apply Woodhardener. I did this with the Torulosa and it is holding up very well ( white color keeps longer too).
I am not going to create more shari than neccessary on this Casuarina. One thing is for sure, if the deadwood on a Casuarina is not treated at all you can virtually watch it rotting away during rain season here in Florida.
Thanks for the info and the nice photograph, Rob.

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Progression of a Casuarina Empty Casuarina Yamadori

Post  cosmos Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Dorothy, when you collected the Casuarina back in 2004, what mix did you use then and what mix do you use now. Did you leave branches with 'leaves' on. I lost 2 yamadori casuarinas by not leaving any leaves on, thinking that I would cut down on transpiration water losses. What is your experience on this regard. Thanks for sharing.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:47 pm

cosmos wrote:Hi Dorothy, when you collected the Casuarina back in 2004, what mix did you use then and what mix do you use now. Did you leave branches with 'leaves' on. I lost 2 yamadori casuarinas by not leaving any leaves on, thinking that I would cut down on transpiration water losses. What is your experience on this regard. Thanks for sharing.

Cosmos,

the first soil was dirt, firbark, sand and perlite (I don't use that mix anymore). Then in 2008 I transplanted the tree into Boon mix but I left the Akadama out.

I do wash the roots of collected Casuarinas during initial planting and place them now in pure lavarock. I try to save all fine roots and prune off only the bigger roots up to a feeder root. I then go through the stuff that falls off the roots during potting and collect all finer roots, chop them up and add them close to the rootball. I have collected about 30 trees and have only lost 2 little seedlings, which had only 1 root left after collecting.
When you collect Casuarinas, you need to save as many feederroots as you can, no need to cut them back at this time, just coil them up.

I always leave greens on the tree when planting. They like to be misted after collection. Also, I do only collect when they are pushing new growth, actually when they are shedding and ready to push new growth, which is in Spring and again in October in SW Florida.

And never transplant a Casuarina and wire limbs at the same time, the Casuarina despises that. Same goes for leaving wire on branches during cold spells, you may see some dieback up to losing a whole branch depending on the size of the tree.

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Progression of a Casuarina Empty casuarina grafting

Post  cosmos Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:03 am

Thanks Dorothy for sharing so much.
I have a casuarina and I want to create two new branches. Do you have any experience with grafting on casuarina.
Thank you
Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:48 am

It's nice to know you remembered me and my tree. I sold that tree but I have a much nicer one that won tree of the year. The only thing is that I don't know how to post them through this forum. I am trying to find someone to teach me. As soon as I do, I will post them. Continue the amazing progress on your Bunjin.
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 am

hiram wrote: The only thing is that I don't know how to post them through this forum. I am trying to find someone to teach me. As soon as I do, I will post them. Continue the amazing progress on your Bunjin.
Hiram, please see Jim's tutorial HERE
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 am

Where I live, tropicals need to be brought indoors for the winter. Can a casuarina survive spending the winter in a sunny window, or under artificial light?
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next