Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea)

+6
Precarious
MichaelS
AlainK
BobbyLane
LanceMac10
Bruno António
10 posters

Go down

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Empty Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea)

Post  Bruno António Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi!

This Portuguese oak was collected for more than three years. It has more than 50 years!
It is in development and thickening of the branches, in the next year will be transplanted into a bonsai pot.
Is a very good species for bonsai, grow and adapt well to bonsai techniques. Has small leaves which in winter are from yellow, through the copper and brown.  Very Happy
Height - 70cm.
Opinions and comments!

Thank you!! Wink
Bruno.
Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Dsc04910

Last edited by Bruno António on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Empty Re: Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea)

Post  LanceMac10 Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Very nice!!! I'm unsure of that dipping branch on the viewers right. Very interesting character!!
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Powerful trunk, nice bark, good movement...but it looks nothing like an Oak in nature, it looks more like a Spruce with those drooping branches, just
being honest mate.

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Bild_112

I'd be aiming for something like this Wink

Upward rising branches will enhance the trunk and give you a far more imposing and powerful image.
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi BobbyLane!

Unfortunately this tree does not even have a move to a "drawing" of those in image, who will be more like a forest tree "drooping hokidashi".
All branches will have much more to thicken so that they are as I will: a mountain tree, something minimalist, very old and "drooping".

Thanks for your opinion. Wink
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:55 am

A very promissing tree Bruno.

I think you should definitely keep the "dipping branch on the viewers right", but maybe turn tree round a bit: it's always hard to tell when you can't see the tree in 3 dimensions.

I had never heard of, or seen this species before (Quercus Faginea), but there are so many species. The Portuguese page on Wikipedia doesn't give a list, but look at the French version:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%AAne#Liste_des_esp.C3.A8ces

=> Wow! Shocked

Wow.

Since it is a species that only grows in Mediterranean climates, I wouldn't pay attention to pictures of oaks that grow in northern europe or other parts of the world: it's as if someone suggested you to shape a Montpellier maple from north Africa like a sugar maple from Canada, or a sycamore, or a Norway maple Rolling Eyes

This is a very unusual species in the realm of bonsai enthusiasts, and a very beautiful tree you've got there, and with proper care, you can make it a unique masterpiece. And please, don't follow any advice from people who don't live in an area where it grows, you'd just kill it!

And I've learned something else: I knew what "Da Silva" means, but among the many people of Portuguese origins that live here, a lot of them bear the name "Carvalho", and now I know that it is the equivalent of the French very common name "Duchëne", or "Duchesne" which means exactly the same: Oak (Quercus)

I must tell that to my friends Alexandra Antunes and Jean-Luc Coimbra de Brito, and Wanda who's from Brazil and whose maiden name now I'm curious to know Smile Being myself of foreign origins like 1 in 3-4 French people, I'm always interested in "what's in a name"...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelS Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:24 am

I like this material a lot. I has a great future.
MichaelS
MichaelS

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:00 am

With a strong, rough trunk that appears to be towering above, it is unexpected and incongruent to see it swoop so far down as to become a semi-cascade.  I too suggest removing some of the dipping branch on the right, but maybe it is a chance to learn something different. Either way, I hope you post serial pictures as it develops further.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:42 pm

This tree is very promissing.

Keep us updated. ThumbsUp
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:41 pm

AlainK wrote:
And I've learned something else: I knew what "Da Silva" means, but among the many people of Portuguese origins that live here, a lot of them bear the name "Carvalho", and now I know that it is the equivalent of the French very common name "Duchëne", or "Duchesne" which means exactly the same: Oak (Quercus)
  Smile  Very Happy

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Litera10
Example of working in oak nothing "naturalistic", as is most common in nature!

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) 11078110
One of the most famous Quercus Faginea bonsai, by Luis Vallejo, Spain

Quercus Faginea in Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_faginea

Here in Portugal, in some places, they grow in small hills with no vegetation around. This was the case of this tree, which was perfectly in these conditions, so it is very common to see trees in nature with unusual configurations, different from the oak trees that can see without further north in Europe, for example.

Thank you all for the comments! Wink
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi!

Here is a small update of this Portuguese oak.
Last year, he had a root fungus problem that almost killed him ... fortunately the treatment took effect after a few weeks ...
For the year 2018, the focus is to densify the branching and thicken a few branches!

Opinions! Thank you!

Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Img_1511
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Love it. Wish it was mine!

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 am

BrendanR wrote:Love it.  Wish it was mine!

Thank U!! Smile
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Great tree! cheers

I'd cut off some of the leader though and focus more on extending the first two branches (left and right) more horizontally)...

-AK-

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 pm

AlainK wrote:Great tree!  cheers

I'd cut off some of the leader though and focus more on extending the first two branches (left and right) more horizontally)...

-AK-

Hi!
Thanks for the opinion!
In fact it is an imposing tree!! I think I'll be happy to work on it in the next few years. Very Happy Wink
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:21 am

Bruno António wrote:Hi!

This Portuguese oak was collected for more than three years. It has more than 50 years!
It is in development and thickening of the branches, in the next year will be transplanted into a bonsai pot.
Is a very good species for bonsai, grow and adapt well to bonsai techniques. Has small leaves which in winter are from yellow, through the copper and brown.  Very Happy
Height - 70cm.
Opinions and comments!

Thank you!! Wink
Bruno.
Portuguese Oak (Quercus Faginea) Dsc04910
Beautiful and interesting tree. I would very much like to see a photo of the leaves when mature as to shape and size.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Vance Wood wrote:
Beautiful and interesting tree.  I would very much like to see a photo of the leaves when mature as to shape and size.

Hi Vance! Thank U!

I will post photos at the end of next spring. Wink

Regards!
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Another very impressive Oak tree with great bark and lots of character. I like it a lot.

As others have suggested I don't think I would have styled it quite like that either but then it's not my tree is it Cool Anyway it's very good and I would love to have one half as nice.

Cheers

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Richard S wrote:Another very impressive Oak tree with great bark and lots of character. I like it a lot.

Hi Richard!
Thanks! Smile
Regards!
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down