Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grow boxes

4 posters

Go down

Grow boxes Empty Grow boxes

Post  Gene Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Can anyone tell me when building a grow/training box out of wood if it is safe to use pressure treated lumber?

Gene

Back to top Go down

Grow boxes Empty Re: Grow boxes

Post  leonardo Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:02 pm

They say no leaching of chemicals should occur with PT. I do not use it because I add chemicals to plants that might react with PT.

Ciao........Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gene Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:21 pm

From what I am finding Texas A & M done some studies and found that the new ACQ treated lumber had no affect on plants and the level of preservitive in the soil did not increase, even right at the wood, over a 9 yr peroid.

Gene

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Spaans Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:55 pm

As long as we are touching upon different woods, I used cedar left over from building a fence to build a few boxes. I found that plants with roots did OK in them but unrooted cuttings mostly died. Too bad because quite a few of these cuttings were European olive. Anyone wants to touch this?

Ed.

Ed Spaans

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:01 am

I've used all sorts of timber, pressure treated and not and had equal success but widely differing longevity. Never noticed any effect on trees using PT timber.

I've never used wooden boxes for rooting cuttings, always plastic seed trays. This is because it is done in a glasshouse where optimum shade and humidity can be achieved for rapid rooting. Olea europea is quite easy if done in this way in June.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down