Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elm Cultivar ID

5 posters

Go down

Elm Cultivar ID Empty Elm Cultivar ID

Post  bonsaisr Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:05 pm

I have this interesting little Chinese elm, started by Bill Valavanis, that I won in a Rochester raffle. Bill says it is unnamed, but I can't help wondering, since it is so distinctive. As you can see, the bark is quite smooth, unlike typical Chinese elms. The picture was taken in February, and it is obviously evergreen. It has not been pruned that much, as far as I can tell, but the leaves are very small. It does not fit the description of 'Drake,' and I don't think I've ever seen 'Catlin.' I don't know any other evergreen cultivars. I wrote to the cultivar registrar for Ulmus, but never got an answer. Anyone care to give it a cultivar name?
Iris

Elm Cultivar ID Img_0811
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Elm Cultivar ID Empty Re: Elm Cultivar ID

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Looks like it is grafted.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Shayn Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:50 pm

I have both cork bark and Catlin elms, and that looks like a Catlin to me. Although, those leaves are a bit small for not been cut much. I'd say its most likely either a Catlin elm, or A Seiju elm. The Seiju being the species with really small leaves compared to the Catlin and cork bark.
My opinion.
Shayn
Shayn

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 pm

It's not Seiju, which I have. Hard to tell from the pictures online of Catlin.
Most unlikely to be grafted. The other side of the trunk has no seam. I never heard of Chinese elm being grafted. I doubt if Bill would style a grafted elm to donate to a raffle.
Is Catlin hardy to below freezing?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 am

Iris,

That elm is a common Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia, imported directly from China. It is the common species. If you look closely and have the experience you can tell it was started from a root cutting, not stem cutting.

It is not a Catlin elm which has thick, dark green foliage, but a different shape.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:02 am

That explains it. It is probably a different strain from the Chinese elms that are propagated by the hundreds in this country. I was wondering where you got it. I am very fond of it. I hope I can do justice to it.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Its just a regular smooth barked Chinese elm, the type produced in the masses and imported from China. leave it outside for a few years and it will gradually develop craggy bark. Like these two of mine, which are just regular Chinese elms that would have started out with smooth bark.

Elm Cultivar ID IMG_5149
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down