Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Indoors or Out

2 posters

Go down

Another Indoors or Out Empty Another Indoors or Out

Post  Tom McCue Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:44 am

I live in zone 5, Metro Detroit, Mi. I have a Shohin Cork Bark Elm. I've read both that it can be grown as outdoor or Tropical. I bury my maples and junipers along the side of the house with success. Would you advise I bury the cork elm outdoors for winter, bring it in to partially heated sunroom or under grow lights in constant 70 degree indoors. The tree has spent the entire year so far outdoors.

Thanks for any advice
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:45 am

Chinese elm is not a tropical. On the other hand, it is not hardy in Zone 5. Keep it in the sunroom for the winter. Try to maintain the temperature between 25 & 40 degrees. The leaves will turn yellow, but may not fall off until January, if at all. Ignore this.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Another Indoors or Out Empty Re: Another Indoors or Out

Post  Tom McCue Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 am

Thanks Bonsaisr! I was aware that elm's are hardy. Our streets in Detroit were lined with Elms until the Dutch Elm Disease destroyed them all. I was told it depends where they came from as to hardiness. I was not sure about this Cork Bark Elm. It was grown in California and I sure would hate to lose it. To be sure I think your adivse is right on. I am new to the club and appreciate your response. I will post a pic of it tomorrow.
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 am

Tom McCue wrote:Thanks Bonsaisr! I was aware that elms are hardy. Our streets in Detroit were lined with Elms until the Dutch Elm Disease destroyed them all.
That was American elm, Ulmus americana. You can still find a few on the back roads in upstate NY. The breeders are working on disease resistant strains. It can be used for bonsai.
Tom McCue wrote: I was told it depends where they came from as to hardiness.
Not exactly. A person of Norwegian descent who grew up in Africa would still be blonde & sunburn easily.
Tom McCue wrote: I was not sure about this Cork Bark Elm. It was grown in California and I sure would hate to lose it.
Cork bark elm is a cultivar of Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia. It is hardy to about Zone 6 or 7. It needs a dormant period with protection over the winter.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:47 am

Iris thank you for the info. Your help is appreciated
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content