Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer palmatum Die back

5 posters

Go down

Acer palmatum Die back Empty Acer palmatum Die back

Post  ranu23 Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi All.
1st post but been reading on the forum for a while.

hoping for some help.

This is not a bonsai but bought this Acer palmatum to air layer for bonsai.
I live in South Africa and bought this tree Early July 2014 - it still had some leaves
on it even though July should not be the growing season for this tree.

Now it is spring in South Africa and it started pushing a little more new growth
but a few weeks back 1 branch started to get like a yellow/ brown and all the leaves on that branch died off!

Now it looks like the other 2 branches are starting to get the same colour and moving towards the main trunk.
There is just the main trunk and 3 branches.

is this some sort of disease that the tree has?

thank you.

Photos.

from main trunk to branches -

Acer palmatum Die back Jap3

Branch that looks like it is dying - all leaves died back and looks like the branch is as well.

Acer palmatum Die back Jap5

looks like it is spreading to the other 2 branches.

Acer palmatum Die back Jap2

Acer palmatum Die back Jap4

ranu23

Back to top Go down

Acer palmatum Die back Empty Re: Acer palmatum Die back

Post  0soyoung Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:52 pm

It looks like it is soon going to be a dead tree. My speculation is that it is verticillium wilt, but it could be nectria canker. Both are serious fungal infections. Both enter the tree through pruning cuts, so make it your habit to always clean your pruning tools with 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (bleach solutions also work, but will pit your tools).

Nectria is most active when temperatures are above 23C and attacks the cambium. It will make very small orange fruiting bodies in the fall.
Verticillium is most active when temperatures are below 23C, so it is a cool springtime disease. It works by clogging the xylem and leaves a dark-brown/black stain in the wood.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

what can be done once those fungi are noticed?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:23 pm

We have had reports of DoubleNickel55 BioFungacide by Certis USA being useful against Verticillium wilt. The active ingredient is a bacteria - Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain D747. A 5 lb bag was $125 and I dissolved in water and did a soil drench as directed. We are in the first year of trying it after a fairly bad outbreak so I can't give a strong report one way or the other.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:what can be done once those fungi are noticed?

Try to remove the infected material. Debarking in the same fashion as girdling for an air layer can be effective with nectria since it grows in the cambial tissues, but usually one is going to lop off the affected branches. Nectria infections tend to spread toward the roots (the direction of phloem sap flow).

Since verticillium infects the wood, removing the affected branch(es) is the only option. In both cases, the infection spreads well beyond the visible effects, so cut well into the adjacent healthy-looking part of the tree. Verticillium infection tends to propagate upward (the direction of xylem sap flow).
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  ranu23 Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 am

thanks for your useful info 0soyoung.

Sad
so basically my only option here is to chop the tree and hope for the best.
I was thinking of chopping it way low down.

Acer palmatum Die back Jap6

ranu23

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:16 pm

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down