Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some projects.

2 posters

Go down

Some projects. Empty Some projects.

Post  Dreamcast Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:21 am

Decided to take some photos today, thought i share some of my projects. Smile

A native Elm given to me some years ago by a very kind man from the Swedish Bonsai Society.
Some projects. 20140718

A birch i have had for 2-3 years now, sloppy but effective wiring this year.
Some projects. 20140719

Oak collected this spring, growing very well.
Some projects. 20140720
Here is a photo before it broke leaf after collecting, reverse taper and a very good nebari that's now under the soil line, it will become a ugly "fairytale" Bonsai i think. Smile
Some projects. 20140310

And here is a Scots sunbathing, it will get a very drastic haircut later this year, looks horrible right now...
Some projects. 20140721

Hope everyone is enjoying summer! Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Some projects. Empty Re: Some projects.

Post  GerhardGerber Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:10 am

Hi Dreamcast

Nice trees!

I would appreciate any advice on the Birch, specifically how much root work will it handle and when to repot.....?

Sorry if this is a highjack, but good first-hand info is scarce.

I have one sitting in a plastic square development pot, trimmed and wired since it's middle of the winter, and I'm extremely unsure whether I should get it in a bonsai pot.

Thanks
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 pm

GerhardGerber wrote:Hi Dreamcast

Nice trees!

I would appreciate any advice on the Birch, specifically how much root work will it handle and when to repot.....?

Sorry if this is a highjack, but good first-hand info is scarce.

I have one sitting in a plastic square development pot, trimmed and wired since it's middle of the winter, and I'm extremely unsure whether I should get it in a bonsai pot.

Thanks
Gerhard

Thanks! Smile when it comes to birch, i threat it like any other deciduous tree really, in my experience it takes root pruning rather well, one third seams to be a good amount of roots to remove every 2 or 3 years, i repot birch in spring, maybe just a little later then my other deciduous trees.

One thing you might wanna think about is not to prune any branches when its not actively growing, this way you can do your best to prevent branch die-backs witch is quite common when dealing with birch, also cover cut wounds well.

But to be honest i don't know anything about growing birch i Namibia, maybe advice i give you will not apply to birch in your location, best is always to try and find someone living in the same climate for more accurate advice.

I would love to see you birch, do you mind showing a picture? Smile
Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi

in my experience it takes root pruning rather well, one third seams to be a good amount of roots to remove every 2 or 3 years, i repot birch in spring, maybe just a little later then my other deciduous trees.
Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was looking for  Cool 
One thing you might wanna think about is not to prune any branches when its not actively growing, this way you can do your best to prevent branch die-backs witch is quite common when dealing with birch, also cover cut wounds well.
Gathered as much, so I trimmed and wired as soon as I was sure it's dormant.
I've seen on a Ray Mears show where he taps a Birch for it's sap, almost unbelievable how it bleeds!

But to be honest i don't know anything about growing birch i Namibia
I bought it in Cape Town knowing full well my climate is not really cold enough, but I've seen them for sale in local nurseries so I hope I can make it work.
 Laughing  Also thanks to Ray Mears I know the bark will never get thick enough in this climate to build a proper Birch bark canoe!  clown 

I would love to see you birch, do you mind showing a picture?
You just made me aware of the fact I seem to have no before photos....which is strange. I know I have a photo of a spider eating a fly on one of it's leaves....somewhere.
I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.

Thanks
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi

Definitely still pre-bonsai, there were some obviously problems like bar branches that had to go, but I have no real idea about design yet:
Some projects. Cam00310
Some projects. Cam00311
Some projects. Cam00312
Some projects. Cam00313

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks facebook......found a before shot:
Some projects. Before10

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:42 pm

Some projects. Spider10
 Cool 

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreamcast Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am

That's good start material IMO, it already has the white bark witch is nice.

Really hope it will survive and develop in a good pace down there, please keep sharing updates! Very Happy

Dreamcast
Dreamcast

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down