Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUMMER DISPLAY

+2
JimLewis
William N. Valavanis
6 posters

Go down

SUMMER DISPLAY Empty SUMMER DISPLAY

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:46 pm

A few months ago while picking up some ProMix at a feed store I looked around in their nursery yard. I noticed a couple of interesting new hydrangeas which I've never seen before. I was not looking for anything in particular, just looking and my eye was caught by the shape of the hydrangeas. Note I was looking at shapes, not species. Two specimens had beautiful natural untouched shapes and I purchased the most interesting plant.

The new plant, Great Star Panicle Hydrangea, Hydrangea paniculata 'Le Vasterival', was growing in a two gallon can and I took it home and potted it in an expensive Japanese Tokoname ware Japanese container from the Reiho Kiln. Over 25 years ago I had three special containers custom made in special colors for some trees. Those bonsai are now too large and the container is broken, but repaired.

Only a couple of branches were pruned and a couple pulled down with guy wires. This plant continues to dry out quite quickly and it now sits in a shallow basin of water, thus the name "Hydrangea."

I've been watching and studying this plant waiting for the delicate white flowers. Some did not understand this bonsai or the subtle beauty, but I liked it and wanted to share it with visitors today.

Enjoy the summer display in my studio tokonoma alcove.

SUMMER DISPLAY Summer10

SUMMER DISPLAY Flower10
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

SUMMER DISPLAY Empty Re: SUMMER DISPLAY

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Unusual . . . and lovely, Bill.

(And thanks for the Thuja articles in your latest issue!)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

SUMMER DISPLAY Empty beautiful plant

Post  davecollom Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 pm

yes, beautiful!! And love your display area

davecollom

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 am

Summer was such a wonderful and care-free time in Japan. I love the whimsy of their summer displays... so many unconventional things you'd never see otherwise. Special times for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Bill

I like how you use all the elements to the japanese tradition, to offer the viewer a cool shady summerbreeze, on a hot summerday...Lovely  Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:28 pm

I love the light feel and Summery feeling this display emotes. Thank you for confirming that bonsai is more than just using conventional styles; more importantly, it is the feeling that you so often remind us about. Very Happy 
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 am

Hallo Bill

I think you did a marvelous job in this display.  Everything is very well balanced.  

We call this kind of Hydraenga the Lace Cap Hydraenga.  Or actually, because they flower in December here by us we call all Hydraenga, Christmas Roses.

I like your Tokonoma very much. Is it longer that usual?

What kind of wood is your beautiful toko bashira?

Who was it again who had a Bamboo toko bashira, I thought it was you Bill?

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Andre,

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. It's nice to know that some understand my sense of beauty. Yes, in the nursery industry here we also call this type of Hydrangea Lace Cap. Its still blooming by the way.

The tokonoma is "standard" size, 3' by 8'. But tokonoma come in all sizes, however, for bonsai display, the size I use is quite common.

So you like my tokobashira! Well, it's a Camperdown Weeping Elm, or it was. I grew this tree from a one gallon can, planted it in my garden and wrapped the thin trunk around a 10' metal electrical conduit. A long time later it died, but I kept the interesting trunk.

When I got married, moved and designed my new tokonoma 27 years ago the tree was perfect for the accent pole. David Knittle who built the tokonoma and I struggled for several hours, about half a day on the correct positioning for construction support as well as aesthetically pleasing. At the end of the day my new bride, Diane, walked in and instantly said, how about this way. Well it was perfect and it's stayed that way since. I only wish she walked into the studio earlier in the day.

Also, by the way, this is not my first tokonoma for bonsai display. Before I got married I built another tokonoma in my mother's home. And, the tokobashira for that was also a tree I grew, a Zelkova. That tree did not die. I needed to remove it from the garden because my new lath house was going there. If I find a photo of it, I'll post it. But remember, many of my old photos and slides got BBQ'd when our house burned down five years ago. I think I used the image for an ad in an ABS Magazine and can find an image to scan.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Found an old ABS Magazine with an I had and scanned the photo. Sorry about the quality, photo over 30 years old.

This was my first tokonoma for bonsai display. The tokobashira on the left was a Zelkova growing in my garden. On the right there is a row of black bamboo sections. Directly above it is a door to hold small display items. The shape of the window on the left is similar to my International BONSAI logo.

Please remember this spring display is over 30 years old and I've learned a great deal on display and also my taste has changed, hopefully for the better.

I also have an outdoor tokonma in my display garden as well as a miniature tokonoma in my studio for displaying and sharing bonsai with friends.
Enjoy this vintage photo.

SUMMER DISPLAY Old-to10
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down