Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fungicide and Mychorrhizae

+2
Bonsaiteen
Twisted Trees
6 posters

Go down

Fungicide and Mychorrhizae Empty Fungicide and Mychorrhizae

Post  Twisted Trees Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:32 pm

The next riveting question sure to generate 300 answers... Do fungicides kill mychorrhizae?
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Fungicide and Mychorrhizae Empty Re: Fungicide and Mychorrhizae

Post  Bonsaiteen Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:13 am

it is a fungus, so it would be killed by fungicide

Bonsaiteen

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsaiteen Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 am

why do I feel like this is a trick question. (please don't get angry)

Bonsaiteen

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 am

Yes.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:21 am

Bonsaiteen wrote:why do I feel like this is a trick question.  (please don't get angry)
No, trick. One of the places I overwinter my trees has little air circulation and mold develops on the mosses. It doesn't harm the trees but I was wondering about spraying a fungicide but do not want to kill the mychorrizae.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Mold on ground surface may have no effect on the tree; no need to use fungicide unless the fungus attacks the tree. However, the wet soil that causes the mold to grow so well MAY affect it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I don't know the science but have been advised by knowledgable people to cover the soil surface if fungicides or lime sulphurs is applied. I use newspaper, paper towels, etc. Water throughly afterward if you can. If you can't, due to cold temps, cover tightly before spraying.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  brett2013 Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:01 am

I put mycorrhizae in my soil during repotting, and maintain it by adding in the water later.  I've also got Effective Microorganism fertilizers, even bacteria that kill mosquito and fungus gnat larvae (I am in a tropical area after all).  I am obviously a fan of beneficial bacteria/microorganism stuff Smile

Definitely no fungicides for me on the soil, or even tap water with chloramine and chlorine.  I thought it was easy to kill fungus outside, like on tree trunks and branches.  I just swab them with vinegar and they're all gone.  Minor ones died off just by swabbing them with tap water (ours has chloramine and chlorine).

I usually get all sorts of molds from big trees I order overseas, shipped by sea (1 month).  Vinegar does the trick for me in seconds.

Last edited by brett2013 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Fungicide and Mychorrhizae Empty Fungicide & Mycorrhizae (sic)

Post  bonsaisr Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:01 am

As a rule, fungicide is only a problem if it is applied as a soil drench. I have been given to understand that you remove moss from the bonsai when you put them away for the winter in an enclosed environment. I don't get mold in my sunporch because there is abundant air circulation.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  brett2013 Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Oh, i like to use mancozeb as preventative fungicide for those fungus i can't see, and i always cover the soil with plastic trash bags while spraying.

We can't buy Chlorothalonil (ingredient of Daconil) off the counter, it needs a license to use, must be really dangerous. Mancozeb seems to be a good all-rounder, even for protecting against pine needle rust.

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down