Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Please

3 posters

Go down

Help! Please Empty Help! Please

Post  Lord Thompson Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:38 am

Hi people i havn't been on in a while so how are you all. I just have one question. I got a small tree and i have wired it to grow the way i want but it apears to be snapped in the middle of the trunk. Ill try and upload a picture. If it has snapped is there ne chance that it will re heal.

Thanks...Richard

Lord Thompson

Back to top Go down

Help! Please Empty Re: Help! Please

Post  bisjoe Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:57 am

If you can get it back together tightly enough to allow the cambium to match up and hold it in place that way with electrical or floral tape you have a good chance of it healing. Some people even use super glue, which will hold the deadwood in the center together but avoid getting it into the green layer under the bark.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:14 am

A break in the trunk may be a bit difficult to "heal." As always it depends upon the break. If it broke to the point where you could hold both halves in different hands (2 pieces) it will not recover from that. If the break is half-way through (approximately) and there is unbroken hardwood and cambium between the roots and the branches, there is some chance. I would choose someting other than super glue, though. I prefer Gorilla Glue. It is, I think, less harmful to living tissue. Also, I would splint the trunk with heavy wires on both sides.

Remember, breaks in trees don't really "heal." It is more of a "mend." The break will always be there. Foe many years the only thing holding the break together will be a thin layer of new wood (and bark) around the outside. The slightest pressure will redo the break. Branches are much easier to fix.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum