Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it just me, or Does it Seem

+16
bhellige47
gman
matt addie
Velodog2
slowly but surely
bonsai monkey
cram
John Quinn
greerhw
Kev Bailey
Norma
pootsie
Lazaro Quintino
Mike Pollock
JimLewis
Michael T
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is it just me, or Does it Seem Empty Is it just me, or Does it Seem

Post  Michael T Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:19 pm

That the amount of posts on this site is way down from when it was last overhauled?

One would think with another set no longer on line things would have actually picked up. Doesn't seem that way to me.

Did the site lose members?

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Is it just me, or Does it Seem Empty Re: Is it just me, or Does it Seem

Post  JimLewis Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:54 pm

As of now, we have almost 1,500 members. The old IBC had some 4,500 folks signed on, but the list was seldom purged and a goodly number of those who registered did so, then never came back. We also now have a large number of "reader" members -- folks who just read and look, but don't post, so never register.

You ALWAYS lose people when a site goes down and stays down for a long time, as ours did. But the ones you lose -- usually -- are the less dedicated.

There are several other bonsai sites on our host company, Forumotion. Most are more local or specialized than the IBC.

We're growing.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Is it just me, or Does it Seem Empty An idea

Post  Mike Pollock Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Maybe someone can make a flyer in PDF format for people to print and handout at club meetings. A banner for people to add to their web pages and blog would help drive traffic too.

It took me months to get back, register and start posting again. For me, It really hurt to lose all that history from the old IBC. But time heals all wounds...
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Is it just me, or Does it Seem Empty My thoughts

Post  Lazaro Quintino Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:15 pm

I believe that IBC would get more posts if the picture posting process was user friendly. I myself have been wanting to post photos of my trees with some useful information and have not been able to.

Last edited by Lazaro Quintino on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : title)
Lazaro Quintino
Lazaro Quintino

Back to top Go down

Post  pootsie Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only lurker. oops, I posted

While I'm at it, I agree with Mike:
Mike Pollock wrote:For me, It really hurt to lose all that history from the old IBC. But time heals all wounds...
I used to refer back to many old IBC posts over and over again.
pootsie
pootsie

Back to top Go down

Is it just me, or Does it Seem Empty Input Determines Output

Post  Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Michael T wrote:That the amount of posts on this site is way down from when it was last overhauled?

Huuum... I saw this post and let it run its course to see what some of the other established (registered since the site with live in January this year) members thought of your post.

Michael... you have been a member from the start... and as of today (04 October 09) posted a grant total of nine times... once a month since you joined. Sleep

Input determines output

The more that 'silent' members and Lurkers get involved (of which there are at least 3 times as many member when you check 'whos online') the greater the content on the site will be

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Personally I have several friends who regularly read the forum and do not contribute. Two of these friends work in government offices that have recently instituted rigid computer use standards.

If we think of the forum as a learning tool and not just interaction between members, we'll better understand our so called "lurkers". I have sent links to friends when interesting topics arise and have even written topics for questions sent my way.

I do agree that posting pictures can be frustrating at first but ...hey... if gray-haired ladies can do it so can anyone.

Keep posting and who knows maybe you'll learn something !!

cheers Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:32 pm

The picture posting process really is very simple. Once you have done it a couple of times it becomes second nature. Please read the detailed instructions "Tutorial on posting pics" that Jim has kindly posted as a sticky near the top of the Testing,Posting Images,Tutorials section, if you find it difficult.

Great idea Mike. I'll get something sorted when I have a bit of time.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  greerhw Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm

I lurk here too, but never post, too much trouble posting pictures.

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 pm

I believe that IBC would get more posts if the picture posting process was user friendly. I myself have been wanting to post photos of my trees with some useful information and have not been able to.

and . . .

. . . too much trouble posting pictures . . .

It's really not that difficult. As Kev said, I have posted a detailed "how-to-post-pictures" tutorial in the Test Foum. If you don't know where that is, go here"

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/testing-posting-images-tutorials-f4/tutorial-on-posting-pics-t243.htm

It's actually less of a problem setup that our old one which limited us to 600 pixels and some absurdedly small number of kb and only two pics per post.

I know that some folks get all a twitter when things change, but life if it is any good is constant change. If a 72-year-old fart like me can write out a picture-posting tutorial, believe me ANYONE can post a picture.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 pm

Actually, when one reviews the statistics (available to the Administrator and Moderators) of new topics and new posts since the site was revitalized in Jan. 2009, one sees a fairly consistent month to month increase. There are minor fluctuations but overall the trend is encouraging.
As Tony stated above, input determines output. If you wish to see the site become more active, participate more.
Picture posting is not that difficult if you spend a few minutes in the tutorial area.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Tony,

Fair point. I didn't intend to be critical. Just seemed the contributions aren't as active as they used to be and I was wondering if that was just a function of reduced membership. I was really trying to bait the pdf flyer/email blast suggestions. Maybe a blanket notice to the prior membership would catch some attention? Didn't know if anything like that had been done.

I'm aware of other sites on the web, but I've always felt this site had the best contributions and considering how active it historically has been want to see it get back to where it was.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:18 pm

brand new beginner on your forum
the imageshack system-like is really current and just need a little practice to learn...
but the first times are often really hard and discouraging
one other "problem" (if it s possibe to call this like trhis)of this forum for new members is the high level of the bonsaikas here
it is a little bit intimidating
anyway it is still a reference in bonsai forums
so you always get somme new members ...i think
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:04 am

We welcome beginners. That's what the "Bonsai Questions" forum is aimed at. Some of us look there first so we can point beginners in the right direction.

But you should not be intimidated by the pictures of the fine trees some of our members create; those should be inspiring.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:17 am

of course ! that s why i am here!
it is not the trees who intimidates me but my work compare to these
it s like put a ugly frog side to side with a white flying horse
but it is motivating ...when i ll be a big boy...i ll be bonsaika Laughing
anyway...i am on a french forum and there is the same disaffection down there...
membres post less often...

it s seems to be the same all over the world..
it is supposed to be crise... Rolling Eyes

at last...i d really like someone to answer to my topic...
that is also motivating to stay on a forum...get some answers
and sorry again for my english Very Happy
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:20 am

I appreciate Michael asking all the right questions. Anyone with any good ideas on how we can continue to grow and remain active is welcome to contribute them.

I did a mass email early on, but the list was certainly incomplete as the membership data was unavailable to me. I will do an email news - update in the near future, once we have finalised our plans for a fundraiser for webspace. I want to do this so we can reinstate the knowledge base and begin to redevelop that area of the "old" IBC.

Unfortunately, (unless we have an expert programmer with deep knowledge of antiquated bulletin board coding and a lot of time on their hands) it looks like all the old messages are lost in a corrupted database. Some can still be winkled out of the Wayback Machine, if you are detemined.

I am working on the ideas for a pdf leaflet. I would love some great bonsai images, that the owner is prepared to allow me to reproduce in the leaflet. Please PM me with nominations or offers! Laughing
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 am

Funny that tis thread should come up as I'm in the process of trying to convince the "tea & biscuit" brigade that checking out the IBC is a good move. I will be plugging the site, via a Bulletin Board, at our monthly Club meetings and have added it to the "Useful Contacts" list on our Club Newsletter so I hope that it will bring some more traffic to the site. I know that our Club is attracting some newbies to Bonsai so maybe the "Questions" section might well get some more hits!!!

I understand where some people are coming from re: some of the great trees posted on here. It put me off in the begining but I've now taken the plunge with some of my offerings and it doesn't hurt really!!!

Keep up the good work all those Mods, Admin etc and thanx for being here,
Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am

Hi Micheal.

You have stimulated a good debate... and there is merit.

I can understand that 'Newbies' can be intimidated... but it is only a small step in a different direction to be inspired... Harley Rider and Matt Addie are Newbies... I guarantee that within 5 years they will have stunning bonsai that THEY have created.

I am of the opinion that with correct teaching, approach to the art, willingness to learn, being open to new ideas and access to good starter material ANYONE on this forum can create truly great Bonsai.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:58 pm

So that everyone can see what John Quinn was talking about, here's a screen grab of the stats.
Is it just me, or Does it Seem Stats10

That's a fairly consistent rising trend. I suspect that, in the longer term, we'll see some seasonal variations.

I would hope that any newcomer can feel confident that he or she is going to receive a warm welcome and a friendly guiding hand from the more experienced members. Our mods do a great job of ensuring that everything runs smoothly, including keeping things on a sensible and friendly level, as far as possible.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is it just me, or Does it Seem Empty Words for the PDF flyer

Post  Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:50 pm

below are some Words for the PDF flyer, I am sure we can fill the flyer... but hey... who reads!

Head line: Join the largest bonsai club in the world
Sub Head: Watch, learn, read and contribute to discussions with some of the worlds most experienced bonsai artists.

Bonsai questions answered
How to tackle pests and diseases
Pots and potting
Suiseki, Viewing Stones and Scholars' Rocks

Beginners especially welcome

www.internetbonsaiclub.org

BTW I will send a Hi rez image for you Kev

Back to top Go down

Post  slowly but surely Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:13 pm

I'll be sticking with Cram in the questions section for now -- though I hope to get to the point where I can contribute substantively too. Until then, thank you to all the members who have been jumping in and answering my questions and keep it up. The more active you are the better it is for us all.
slowly but surely
slowly but surely

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:48 pm

My initial thought when I read the original post was that I agreed with the desire to see more posts, but not at the expense of quality. There are other online bonsai forums. But this is the only one I frequent. I like the quality of the trees posted here and of the discourse that results from those posts. I would be happy to keep the quantity if it meant keeping the quality. I could post more if it would help, but then I try to only post when I have something to say ... I could change that ;-)

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Tony,

One small nit,

I prefer, "The World's best and largest bonsai club is back online" as the lead in.

I like bold statements.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Oops .. Shocked Tony, you posted the wrong link.... too bad we couldn't have kept the old link. I hope this is not why some members have not come back!?

Of course those reading this know our new link to the Internet Bonsai Club.

Norma

P.S. No hi rez images of me, PLEASE !
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Norma, we still own the old URL that Tony posted. Terry Robbins the previous webmaster renewed it for us. Eventually we hope to deploy it once more and possibly link this forum into it. Don't hold your breath though.

Tony, any Hi Res images would be most welcomed. Thanks for your input, I've incorporated it into the Mods thread for now. I'll put it up for discussion here in a day or two.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum