Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008

+15
Vance Wood
Marco Giai-Coletti
manumidam
steveb
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
LanceMac10
Lynn E
peter keane
Khaimraj Seepersad
dorothy7774
my nellie
yamasuri
quatrefi
pongsatorn.k
Herbert A
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 Empty Re: My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008

Post  Herbert A Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi Vance,
he´s doing well.

regards
Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 Empty Re: My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008

Post  Vance Wood Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:02 pm

If you could share a bit more about the details in air layering this tree I would appreciate it. I grow a lot of Mugos and this aspect is somethng I need to know more about.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:40 am

Hi Vance,

the technic to airlayer a Pinus mugo is really easy. Just remove a ring of bark, give Sphagnummoss around the cut and wrap it with plastic.

This is a other tree.
My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 004_1010

Two years later. Remove the moss before planting the tree in a pot.
My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 013_0110

My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 021_0210

regards
Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Thank You very much.  I did not realize it was quite that easy.  I am not too proud to admit there is something about this tree I don't know well.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Just a note to say that if you chop up the moss and mix with equal parts vermiculite then removing the moss is MUCH easier post separation - you won't need tweezers and a chopstick.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:21 am

Thats quite interresting. Dit you try this when you airlayered a tree in the mountains? I´m afraid that this mix does not hold enough water all the time. Because i don´t go in the mountains to water the trees.

best regards
Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:04 pm

There is another aspect that I have become aware:  There are natural hormones in the Moss that work to form roots.  I too question the vermiculite survivor mix.

I think a legitimate question to Marie1uk is; how may Pine trees have you air-layered with this mix? How many Mugos?

I certainly do not wish to be argumentative but too often opinion is offered as fact.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 Empty mugho pine airlayer

Post  abcd Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 pm

it is possible to know at what season have you made this airlayer , i think it's an important fact
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

My vision of an airlayerd Pinus mugo from 2008  - Page 2 Empty mugho air layer

Post  abcd Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:09 pm

sorry

I startet airlayering in spring 2008 and could separete him in september 2008.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Thank You for that information. You did quite well, most of the books say it takes up to five seasons to air layer a Pine. I credit that to your use of Sphagnum moss.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:45 pm

So only 1 year correct? I imagine Scots can also be layered. Hmmmmmm.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:33 pm

HI

i airlayered about 25 Pinus Mugo the last 10 years. All trees did well. Yes the Sphagnummoss has natural Hormons so that roots grow well.

To airlayer a Pinus mugo takes from 6 to 18 month. I belongs where the tree grows. If he grows on rocks, it takes about 18 month. If the tree grows in good soil, it takes 6-12 month if the tree is strong and healthy.

@ Frary
I think it is not possible to airlayer a Scots Pine on the trunk. I tryed it 5 times. Never had success. BUT you can airlayer s Scot pine at the roots if you arilayer all the mainroots.

best regards
Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:48 pm

What a fantastic tree and story! Quick question though how do you handle decandleing and such on a mugo- do you treat it like a black pine, a white pine or something in between?
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2