unsightly Hawthorn (it was)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  bob hill on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 pm

This is a Hawthorn i bought from Chris Thomas at his Bonsai nursery in Amanford South Wales (the home of dragon bonsai). It was a small collected yamadori and had been in it's pot for about 5years, Chris told me. The roots were really thick and heavy for a small tree, it was very thorny and congested and had long straight water shoots coming out at all angles. I did'nt think anything would come of it, so i did'nt take any photographs at this time sorry. After a while and on closer inspection, i saw a line in the trunk that i thought i could develop, so i bought it. On getting it home and with a good pair of thick gloves i went to work cutting off all the branches just concentrating on the trunk line. This was about 2and a half seasons ago. The new branches are quite thin and sparse at the moment, but i am hoping time will change this. I love the movement in this tree and i call it (THE DANCER).Bob Hill South Wales.

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Re: unsightly Hawthorn (it was)

Post  Andrei Darusenkov on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Bob, excellent work! Very elegant tree! Congrats! If I may I'd shorten apex branches on the right side to avoid the apex looking a bit symmetrical.

Best regards,

Andrei Darusenkov

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  bob hill on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

hi andrei, thank you for your comments and yes i agree i do intend to do a bit of pruning back to encourage some new growth regards bob hill.

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Bob,
How is your Haw doing?

Regards,

Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

unsightly hawthorn it was

Post  bob hill on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm

hi rui, just an update on the hawthorn, i havn,t done done to much work on the tree to date just some light pruning back to the top branches, we went through a realy bad cold spell early in the year which came more or less without warning tempreturs of minus twenty deg,s that resulted in the loss of a lot of trees over here for people including myself but this one is fine.like hans hawthorn i also called it the dancer! thumbs up thumbs up lets rock n roll. bob,

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  bob hill on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:21 pm

updated phot[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=26&u=13516750][/url]o hawthorn.

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  chris on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:32 pm

Looking good Bob

Regards Chris

chris

Back to top Go down

Post  paul.spearman on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:31 pm

looking good Bob got the hang of sending the pictures and what a good job you have done excellant tree and photos
Paul

paul.spearman

Back to top Go down

unsightly hawthorn (it was)

Post  bob hill on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 am

thanks chris and paul, see you sunday at the boot sale bob,

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down