Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees.

+3
fredman1
Russell Coker
lennard
7 posters

Go down

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Empty South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees.

Post  lennard Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Some of our clubs in my region joined hands and organize a regional meeting a few times a year.

Here are a few trees exhibited at the regional meeting in Pretoria:

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. W10

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. G10

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Z10

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. O10

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. U11

More trees posted on my blog for those who are interested:

http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/2013/09/brat-regional-bonsai-meaning-exhibited.html

Lennard

Last edited by lennard on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Empty Re: South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees.

Post  Russell Coker Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 am

Nice! Would you please tell us what they are???
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Empty Re: South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees.

Post  fredman1 Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:31 am

Beautiful. Thanks for showing Lennard. I absolutely love African trees. Just imported some African seeds into NZ. Will plant them this Spring and see how they go in this colder climate. Wink

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 am

Lovely trees Lennard.

Thank you for posting them.

My guess..

Pic 1 Ficus nataleinsis

pic 2 Stunning Baobabs.. Adansonia digitata

Pic 3 Another Ficus, with a Cyphostemma acccent?

Pic 4 Another Ficus ....ginseng?

Pic 5 A absolute amazing Copper stem corkwood - Cammiphora harveyi (Resin wood family)
You must see this trees in nature... One of my favourites in KwazuluNatal.
In Afrikaans it is called a 'Rooistamkanniedood...which means Red-stem-cannot- die. The wood is very aromatic.

Thanks again Lennard. How much do I have for this test? hihihihihi

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Empty ID

Post  lennard Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am

Andre Beaurain wrote:Lovely trees Lennard.  

Thank you for posting them.

My guess..

Pic 1 Ficus nataleinsis  

pic 2 Stunning Baobabs..    Adansonia digitata

Pic 3  Another Ficus, with a Cyphostemma acccent?

Pic 4   Another Ficus   ....ginseng?

Pic 5  A absolute amazing Copper stem corkwood  -  Cammiphora harveyi  (Resin wood family)  
        You must see this trees in nature... One of my favourites in KwazuluNatal.
         In Afrikaans it is called a 'Rooistamkanniedood...which means  Red-stem-cannot- die.  The wood is very aromatic.

Thanks again Lennard.  How much do I have for this test?  hihihihihi

Love and light
I think you have 3 out of 5.

Just can't remember the first one .....too fine ramification for a Ficus?

The tree in Pic 4 is an Olive - it has opposite leaves.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

An Olive...  ?  But the bark is very dark.  If its an Olive then probable one of the endemic olives,  or can it really be Olea europea var afrcana.  Why does it have so few leaves on?

Can you find out what the first one is, Please Lennard .  

Its nice to learn.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Fantastic shapes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here in Brazil we do not correct our way of doing bonsai.
congratulations.
Shabbat Shalom.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 pm

I was at the same meeting. The first tree is a Celtis Africana. Herewith a couple more from the meeting.

Ligustrum.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Dscf5310

Celtis Africana forest.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Dscf5311

Celtis Africana.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Dscf5313

Schotia Afra.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Dscf5314

Pyracantha.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Dscf5317

Buddleja Saligna.

South Africa Brat Regional meeting exhibited trees. Dscf5316
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Jaco Kriek wrote:I was at the same meeting. The first tree is a Celtis Africana. Herewith a couple more from the meeting.

Hi Jaco,

My dearest Country men......If that is a  Celtis africana then I will eat my hat.  
I have never seen a Celtis with that  kind of bark.  You can compare it with the Celtis forest you posted and the other Celtis tree.  Celtis has a very white smooth bark, that tree hasn't.  The twigging is also to thick to be Celtis.  

I still think its a Ficus.  Show it to me  when it has leaves on.  I'll get my hat ready. hihihihihi

The Ligustrum is awesome!

Love and light
Ps  Who is the owner of the tree?
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  fredman1 Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I agree its definitely not a Celtis...

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Andre, I confirmed with the owner of the tree, he says it is a Celtis.

Regards.
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Jaco Kriek wrote:Andre, I confirmed with the owner of the tree, he says it is a Celtis.

Regards.
Thank you Jaco, I will leave it at that.... and I for one still don't believe it, if it is, the tree is weird and very unique.

Do you think he can post it when the tree is in leave. Please.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  fredman1 Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 pm

If it is a Celtis its very confused from hybridization....Shocked 

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaco Kriek Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:58 pm

The tree belongs to Org Exley from the Pretoria bonsai kai. I know Org and will take a picture when the tree has leaves.

Regards
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 pm

Great trees, the Celtis bring a tear to my eye because I want one so bad and I seem to kill them! Mad 

I bought 2 more at a "nursery" (gun shop, hardware, locksmith, general dealer, nursery, all under one roof), both proudly labeled "Celtis africana" clown 

The odd one out also has the white sheen but a darker green undercoat....if that makes sense!
The growth pattern is also much coarser, long internodes and huge leaves compared to the "real" Celtis. (will post photos if the others survive to give comparison)

More importantly, again, great trees, love the Celtis Forrest and the Kanniedood is a winner! Cool 

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  fredman1 Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 am

Well that's good enough for me. If Org Exley says its a Celtis then it surely is. Don't think its a pure Africana though.
Very beautiful all the same. There is something about an African tree that makes my heart go racing. Must be in the blood...! Laughing 

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down