Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just havin' some fun

3 posters

Go down

just havin' some fun Empty just havin' some fun

Post  dick benbow Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Recently I went over to a friend's house who has gotten into terariums and exotic frogs. so cool, yet i needed another hobby like,
well, it wasn't happening!

So what did i do? put together a kusamono to look like one of his environments for his little frogs Smilejust havin' some fun Img_3019just havin' some fun Img_3020just havin' some fun Img_3021

I couldn't get over the bright color of his frogs but this was the best I could find for my display. So. what do you think?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

just havin' some fun Empty Re: just havin' some fun

Post  dick benbow Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I used a small contoniaster along with local natives. I would have preferred a pool stone with better water in it, but hopefully I can find something to swap out with the current stone. The height in the back is supplied by japanese blood grass. I love the depth and shape of the pot. Normally I'd seek out something glazed with some color but found this quiet setting seemed to work better with what I wanted to achieve. If anything I might have made the frog a little harder to spy, but I often find in most shows people move along quite rapidly when they think they have dozens of trees to investigate.

Could i get some comments please Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Dick,
I am glad you are finding time to have some fun!
You asked for comments so please take them or leave them, whatever works for you.
I would consider placing the waterpool stone deeper in the composition ( further to the back) surrounding and somewhat overhanging the
back and sides with your plantings. Also, I would try match the nice curve in the back of the stone with the curve in the back edge of the container.
The waterpool stone seems like it might hold more water if placed closer to level rather than placed tilting forward as it appears.
The moss and accents, consider the relationship of each element to the composition. I would consider a lower oval or rectangular container.
For me, the round, tall container dominates through its visual mass and spoils the image.
I noticed that the stone is placed left of center but the frog is also facing left, looking out. I would consider changing his view to the right.
It would be nice to not see the soil remnants on the  stone and moss as well. Thank you for sharing that small world.

Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:49 am

thank you mark for your detailed insightfull remarks. very helpful. i know better then to rush and should have taken time to clean off the dirt. my bad!
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 am

Way cool Thanks Dick!...ThumbsUp 
Both you and Andre inspire me!
I going to try one like yours!...Suspect 
on a cement stand like Andre's boat
I really like havin' fun...Basketball
stonener
*commission time*