Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of prunus?

+2
bonsaisr
fiona
6 posters

Go down

What kind of prunus? Empty What kind of prunus?

Post  Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 am

This is my oldest yamadori, dug up in my own garden...the tree had old bark already back then.
How old do a prunus need to be to gain old bark?...and then add 20 years in a pot...it is not a Young tree this one
What kind of prunus? Img_2927
The tree is standing 22.5 cm tall, and is very thirsty all the time Smile 

It used to be a trunk something else was grafted on, but it died...it is not a mirabel, or blackthorn...Wonder what it is...it never gave any flowers yet.
Does anyone have an idea?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

What kind of prunus? Empty Re: What kind of prunus?

Post  fiona Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Moved to Questions
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Moved to Questions
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

What kind of prunus? Empty What Kind of Prunus?

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:16 am

You probably keep the tree well trimmed. This summer & fall, & next spring, let it run loose without any pruning. Give it a lot of sun & low nitrogen fertilizer. Make sure it gets adequate dormancy.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:28 am

Hi Iris

I have given up trying to hope for flowers, now i just keep it well trimmed. All my other prunus give flowers...also the mirabel and blackthorn.
I had hoped you knew about a prunus, like this.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:42 pm

hello,

it sounds like your tree is a commercial under stock - these are usually used to give strong roots to more desirable but weaker top plants, hence choosing them to graft onto. quite often the root stocks are poor at flowering and fruiting as they are not needed for this purpose. knowing what the top species was would help no end with id of the root stock, and often they are only known by a number rather than a real name.

i would let one sacrifice branch glow long - as the flowers are usually on the tip you may get some flower buds and more chance of an id, especially if the flowers pollinate.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Marcus

I think it was a kivi grafted on the prunus...but I am not 100 percent sure....I have tried hard to make it flower...sacrificebrances...leaving short branches a coupple of years, and so on...I gave it up.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

What kind of prunus? Empty mirable

Post  abcd Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:56 am

hello, i think that your tree is a mirabel, to have flowers and fruits, don't give some water, when the leaves are going down, you put a lot of water, 1 or 2 days in the week in april, to make flowers and fruits, the trees must be suffering .
For the esthetics of your tree( that is an advice, not a crtitic )  , this tree seems built like a pine , on deciduous trees, the start off the branches is vertical, then, the branch is going down because of the weight and gravity , and for cutting, for the trees with fruits, we have to let the last bud on the top off the branch, like on cascade style, look at the virtual drawing, beautiful tree, good luck, joel.
What kind of prunus? <a href=What kind of prunus? Mirabl11" />
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 am

Hi abcd

Many thanks for you virtual...my tree would look nice with flowers Smile 

The branching on my tree look pretty much like the branches on your virtual...only is the tree more dense ( only 22.5 cm ), and the trunk above the deadwood tapers natural, and short.....I could let the top of the Crown grow  more round, witch would be prettier for a broadleaf...but the triangle is the way to grow taper, and to let the lowest branches grow more thick, than the branch above...and so on.
It has recently been restyled, and I will have a look at the branching during the Winter, to see if it Next year, I will allow the small Crown to become more rounded.

I agre with Marcus that it is a Commercial under stock...and flowers?..I tried.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  AnjaM Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

try Prunus cerasifera.

AnjaM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Anja M

Thanks...
The cerasifera is the mirabel...and the leaves are not quit the same......maybe it should just be called a cerasifera with a number, and leave it to that Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm

The "Mirabelle" has yellow fruit and is Prunus domestica subsp. syriaca Wink

Cherry plum is more likely to be what you have.

Mirabelle plum

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks allaink

i take a closer look.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down