Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer cleanups

4 posters

Go down

Summer cleanups Empty Summer cleanups

Post  JimLewis Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Trees are all overgrown this summer from all our rain (we've already exceeded our annual average!), so I've started a full scale assault on leaves -- partly to see what's under there and partly to start looking at what I might bring for our club's consideration for our display at the Carolina Bonsai Expo in October. The club has elected to do shohin and smaller size trees this year, which suits me just fine.

This is a privet root-over-rock which I've had for years. It stands about 6 inches high, but when I started on it today it had 10 inches of arrow straight branches poking out in every direction. It is a two-sided tree, which is nice for trees that may be displayed two (or more) to a stand because it can point in whichever direction we need.

Summer cleanups 7-13_r10

Summer cleanups 7-13_r11

I probably trimmed it a bit severely, but I'll have to trim it again a couple of times if I decide I need it for the show.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Summer cleanups Empty Re: Summer cleanups

Post  Auballagh Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:06 am

That's a really nice tree Jim.
But, well.....

Mr. Jim Lewis wrote: It stands about 6 inches high, but when I started on it today it had 10 inches of arrow straight branches poking out in every direction.

Because of the surplus rain this year, I've got a few of those things myself I'm dealing with, as well!  It would have been exceedingly COOL to see the sort of obligatory, before-and-after photos of this really nice tree. You know, the untamed Wild Beast - that you have now transformed into the contemplative, and serene bonsai pictured for your personal enjoyment.... C'mon, we don't always have to see just the 'Beauty Shots' do we? Neutral
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 pm

C'mon, we don't always have to see just the 'Beauty Shots' do we?

No, but to do that, you have to plan ahead . . .

Thanks for the kind words.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Nice little tree. I especially like the base with the nice root mound, it gives the little guy the impression he's not so little.Smile 
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Another privet. This one is about 13 inches tall so it is a bit over the shohin limit, but it was getting a bit raggedy. I've had this planted on a ceramic slab pot for years, but think it looks much better in a traditional pot.

Summer cleanups 7-13_c10

Summer cleanups 6-12_c10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Summer cleanups Empty Hi Jim

Post  tap pi lu Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:10 am

Summer cleanups 6-12_c10[/quote]
the beautiful trees, this in Photo I think it should reveal a bit more roots, a few small stones makeup.
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down