Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association"

+6
rockm
fiona
my nellie
Khaimraj Seepersad
Orion
Todd Ellis
10 posters

Go down

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association" Empty Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association"

Post  Todd Ellis Thu May 09, 2013 3:30 am

I want to share my honor with you; I was given 2nd place for my collected High Bush Blueberry tree. I collected this Exposed-root Blueberry in a swamp/tributary off of the Rappahannock River in King George County, Virginia. It spent 3-4 years in a nursery pot, then about 7-8 years in the ground. I then re-collected it out of the "overgrown" landscape and have grown it in bonsai culture since 2007 (?). It was heavily damaged during a hail storm in 2008, and then had some borer damage two years ago. The small trunk and branches on the large trunk were grown by me. It flowered heavily this year and is full of berries. I believe the pot is an old Japanese pot from the Tokoname region; it is a handmade pot... old pot for old tree The accent stone is a fullmoon image stone displayed in a Chinese stand which resembles a carved Chinese bed. The tree stands approx. 20 inches tall from the top of the soil.

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association" 100_1510

I will post the first place and third place tree in another post.

Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association" Empty Re: Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association"

Post  Todd Ellis Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 am

First place in the PBA show was a Forsythia in full flower, and fully wired:

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association" 100_1511

The Third place tree was a very large Shimpaku forest planting:

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association" 100_1512

I was very honored to have placed at all. Very Happy

Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association" Empty Re: Collected Blueberry was 2nd place for the "Best of Potomac Bonsai Association"

Post  Orion Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 am

Congrats Todd!

Really nice blue berry, great character.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu May 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Congratulations Todd !!!

and here is my address, plus postage. Smile

Further thanks for posting images of the other two winners, and they are also very beautiful.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu May 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Congratulations Todd!
We share your happiness!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu May 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Well done, Todd.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 pm

I really like that blueberry when I went through the exhibit during the show. There is a certain unexpectedness and freshness in seeing that species in the exhibit. I also liked the moonstone very much. I'm surprised someone didn't walk off with it Very Happy

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Good job! I love blueberry bonsai and think more people should try them.

Mine is going to have a bumper crop of berries this year. I take a pic when they're blue.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Congrats todd love your stone too WOW
Regards,
Alex flower
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 am

Congratulations Todd nice tree and pot too.
Does the Shimpaku (3rd place) belong to Jack Sustic?

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 10, 2013 1:49 am

Well done Todd! Congratulations!

regards,
jun ThumbsUp

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 am

Thank you everyone.

Xuan, I don't know who owns the Shimpaku.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Thank you everyone.

Xuan, I don't know who owns the Shimpaku.

Now I am sure this Shimpaku forest belongs to Jack Sustic (the curator of National Penjing & Bonsai Museum) because I helped him loading the slab to his van on the last day of the 2nd US National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester NY (2010). I just double checked by looking at the Commemorative album (its picture is on page 78)

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

It is an impressive bonsai. For our readers here, the size of that forest is huge; my best guess is 4 feet long by 2-3 feet wide. The stand is "coffee table" size. Height is close to 30 inches tall I think ... very impressive!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Beautiful tree!

But..... lovely new spring growth with white flowers, beautiful summer berries, some of the most incredible fall color you could ask for.... brown pot. Something's off here!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri May 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Russell, an old glazed pot would be great! I don't own one to suit this tree. This brown pot shows of the exposed roots well I think. One day I will be able to have an entire "wardrobe" for my trees Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri May 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I'd love to see the chop on the bottom of this pot.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri May 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Todd,

from what Russell is saying, you might need the same shape of pot with different colours for each season.
Just lift out and change the shoes.

For my part I liked the calligraphic appearance of the tree.

Didn't notice the pot - chuckle - teasing Russell.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down