Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help me with this old pyracantha?

+6
davidlpf
john5555leonard
abcd
augustine
Marty Weiser
raffles
10 posters

Go down

help me with this old pyracantha? Empty help me with this old pyracantha?

Post  raffles Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Hello, my name is Rafael and I live in a city in central Mexico, with a warm climate / Morocco similar to dry according to experts, I apologize for my no English, and I am using a translator network, I am fond of bonsai from about 5 years ago, I am completely self taught and my only teachers are Naka's books and forums in Spanish and of course this forum is amazing ibc, well I would like to share the first steps in the evolution of this old pyracantha, I would like your opinion and help me to improve and I am completely open to admit my mistakes, which are many safe.

Greetings and thanks

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00353f
recien recuperada
help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00020xyr
empieza a sascar sus primeros brotes
clown

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00060mq
bien brotada y limpia de la madera podrida, queda totalmente hueca

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00064ee

raffles

Back to top Go down

help me with this old pyracantha? Empty Re: help me with this old pyracantha?

Post  raffles Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 pm

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00076dt

rebajando un tocon

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00200eh

pinzado

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00107po

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00114lx

antes y despues de un cepillado con cepillo de alambre y aplicacion de aceite de linaza para mantener la madera
help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00105sq

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 pm

help me with this old pyracantha? Bwy1363819497r
help me with this old pyracantha? Jdv1363819756b
help me with this old pyracantha? Viu1363819804o
help me with this old pyracantha? Rgh1363819840r
help me with this old pyracantha? Rgh1363819890u

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 am

Very nice. I like what you have done to the deadwood. I also like the way that you have let the branches grow out and then cut them back. Make sure they have some bends and direction changes to go along with the old, gnarled trunk. You should probably start to get it into a bonsai pot which should be fairly easy based upon your first picture. I am also using a translator from English to Spanish since I only speak a tiny bit of Spanish.

Muy bonito. Me gusta lo que has hecho a la madera muerta. También me gusta la forma que tiene dejar que las ramas crecen hacia fuera y luego se corta de nuevo. Asegúrese de que tengan algunas curvas y cambios de dirección para ir junto con el viejo, tronco nudoso. Probablemente debería empezar a hacerlo en una olla bonsai que debe ser bastante fácil basa en la primera foto. También estoy usando un traductor de Inglés a Español ya que yo sólo hablo un poco de español.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Muy bueno!

Best,

Augustine
central MD 7a

augustine

Back to top Go down

help me with this old pyracantha? Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Beautiful tree , let it growing in a big pot to create the first and second structure,
[img]help me with this old pyracantha? Pyraca10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi, thanks for review, dead wood work I owe by 90% to ants who lived in the hollow tree and the elements of nature that suffered pyracantha, I have dedicated myself to remove the rotten wood, make a few cuts and detailing with wire brush.
If I have the intention of leaving that container maybe one or two more years since it was rescued from a deserted plot just two years ago, but not sure whether it is suitable
I like the virtual, is more or less the idea that I have, the problem is that the tree is almost completely dead except a thin vein that is from where the new branches and it is difficult to accommodate them without being noticed, especially complicated is to bring branches to the right and you have to move the branches from one end to another tree, I'll see if I put pictures to explain the situation

regards

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:36 pm

There is always a solution, let a long branche to grow one year, and then you will graft it where you want ( approach graft ) .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

help me with this old pyracantha? Empty help me with this old pyracantha

Post  john5555leonard Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 am

i love the trunk but are you sure its pyracantha ? it looks more like cotoneaster to me but its a great tree whatever it is . abcd if the growth is coming from 1 live vein he cannot do an approach graft on to deadwood . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am

Raffles,
I think, One sided bonsai design will suit the material well. If you can preserve the dead wood it will help in the design, but if it is a real pyracantha the deadwood won't last long.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  davidlpf Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Raffles, how are you doing? nice to see you here Laughing

Maybe you could take some cuttings, and when they sprout roots , attach them to the dead wood, in a kind of tanuki, In that way you could put some branches on the back and the right side

greetings

davidlpf

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:41 pm

"When a portion of a tree died, like the apex for what ever reason the tree encountered it will take a new form in its struggle to acquire new life, but it will never be of the same form again"--- heard it from a great bonsai teacher.
For example if the right side of the tree or its right side root structures died, it will take its growth in the left side as the dominant side.

An idea for your tree:
help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc_1411

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc_1412

trees below as example expressing the same one side formation:

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc_0010

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc_0011

[url=https://servimg.com/view/15500999/2973]help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc_0911[/url

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

help me with this old pyracantha? Empty help me with this old pyracantha

Post  john5555leonard Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 am

hi raffles, there is a post today in bonsai discussion ' buds on my pyracantha ' have a look at the leaves on it, i am sure yours is cottoneaster and looks like cottoneaster conspicuous decorus, if it is it makes it even better for you . love it anyway. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 pm

If there are thorns then it is probably a Pyracantha.

Going back to the earlier post regarding placement of the right lower branch ... there is nothing wrong with training a branch from behind to fill in the right side. Later on, as/if the tree loses more dead wood due to rot, and decay, etc., then you can style for foliage on one side. This tree has a long future and you can create many looks over its lifetime.
Very nice material; you have done well with it!

Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00110

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 pm

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00111

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 pm

help me with this old pyracantha? Dsc00112

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Sat May 11, 2013 12:11 am

Hi, sorry for delay in responding. As to the species of my tree, I'm sure it's a pyracantha, has thorns, also this year gave me a few flowers and confirm that it is a pyracantha 100% sure, but I thank John for trying to help with identification.
June, did not know that the wood was soft, in my climate, semidesert, wood normally lasts a long time, and is being treated with pure linseed oil and it seems fairly well preserved, with foliage design aside, never I had thought and is a great idea, but I like the idea of ​​Todd, I will continue with the branch back in time and if dead wood is lost then we will use the foliage design side.
I appreciate all your answers and add more photos, from other angles especially the rear

regards

sorry, can look to the upper left corner of the last picture? There are some flowers!

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sat May 11, 2013 2:24 pm

I spy some Virginia creeper in the last photo. I had no idea I grew south of the border, bu I shouldn't be too surprised since it grows in Florida. Sorry off topic.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm

No problem, this parthenocisus grows very well in my country even further south, only then behaves as a perennial, in my city, not strip all the leaves, unless the winter is especially hard, but it is one of the few plants that give us beautiful autumn colors, the copy in my pot germinated naturally, perhaps for some seed from birds so, I withdraw in the following transplant and give it a place in my small garden but I fear a little too much force to usually, you have seen this species in bonsai? I like to have one, for autumn colors

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sun May 12, 2013 3:58 pm

I have seen some pretty ones as bonsai. It is almost treated as an accent plant sometimes, due to the large leaves and non traditional growth habits, and definitely favors the fall color. I tried one once many years ago, but have been keeping an eye out for a nice thick one growing up a tree. I would like to try again with my modernized horticultural skills.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 am

Fantastic material Rafael, it is extremely rare to find Pyracantha of this high quality. This could be a world class tree one day.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Justin Hervey wrote:Fantastic material Rafael, it is extremely rare to find Pyracantha of this high quality. This could be a world class tree one day.

What he said. It is an awesome tree! Congrats! Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  raffles Sun May 03, 2015 4:04 am

hola, actualizo el estado de mi piracanta, como me aconsejaron he dejado crecer casi libremente para llenar el lado derecho por detras, creo que ahora es tiempo de trabajarla un poco con alambre y poda, les mostrare el resultado pronto

Hi, I update the status of my pyracantha, as I was advised I've been growing almost freely to fill the right side from behind, I think now it's time to work it a little wire and pruning, will show you the result soon
help me with this old pyracantha? Imagen10

help me with this old pyracantha? Imagen11

help me with this old pyracantha? Imagen12
help me with this old pyracantha? Imagen13

raffles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down