Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another grafting question

2 posters

Go down

another grafting question Empty another grafting question

Post  bobby little Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:25 pm

there's a big wide open space on my larch tree. As my view of the tree has developed, I've decided that there's a moderately sized branch that isn't necessary to the overall look. I am considering grafting it into the space mentioned above. I understand that stripping bark from the pruned branch then poking it into a hole drilled through the trunk is the method for doing this. My question is, will the grafted branch then grow like a normal branch, or will it remain the same size as when it was moved? Alos, is this something best done in late winter/ spring? Am I likely to harm the tree doing it so late in the growing season?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

another grafting question Empty another grafting question

Post  Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:53 pm

This grafting tecnique is called thread grafting. You can only do this when the tree is dormant. With the branch you will be removing, you need to let one of the shoots grow unchecked for a season. This shoot will be flexible enough to bend around to thread through the tree. Because it was unhindered it should have no side shoots. In early spring the following year, drill a hole big enough to pass the shoot through the tree without damaging the buds. Seal around the wound and leave to grow unchecked again,until new branch is of the required thickness and then shorten, Any buds that shoot the wrong side of the tree should be removed. You will know it has worked when the new branch is thicker on the side you want to keep.

Back to top Go down

another grafting question Empty Re: another grafting question

Post  bobby little Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:57 pm

thanks. stupid question time: I leave the shoot attached to the tree before passing it through the trunk?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Yes you do .You can try grafting a separate piece but the chances of success are greatly reduced unless you are practiced at grafting. Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:04 pm

If you are thread grafting it, yes. The way your initial question was worded, I did think that you meant you were going to remove the branch and "peg" graft it into a hole in the trunk. This is possible, if you are extremely careful about lining up the cambium layers, but is a very much more risky alternative. If you can encourage a long thin whippy branch into position and get it through a hole drilled right through the trunk, that is thread grafting and, so long as you don't snap the thin branch, it is almost 100% foolproof.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:10 pm

ok. sounds a bit dicey. think I'll stick with the big bald patch.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down