Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pest or Disease Help

4 posters

Go down

Pest or Disease Help Empty Pest or Disease Help

Post  Carolee Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:48 am

It seemed like overnight these spots showed up on the leaves of a grape vine I received last winter. One picture shows the underside of the leaf and the other the leaf top of the same spot.

Pest or Disease Help 03310

Pest or Disease Help 03110

Thanks for any help.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Pest or Disease Help Empty Re: Pest or Disease Help

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:21 am

I wouldn't worry. Grape (and many other) leaves do that late in the summer. They get old, and tired, and are just beginning to think about falling off. So they get susceptible to the odd rust or fungus.

It isn't fatal. I can't imagine that it is preventable, either.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  smithgerry Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 am

When leaves are Infected by pets or disease, it becomes thickened, curled and grossly deformed. You can prevented by a single spray of copper oxychloride at the early stage.

smithgerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 am

Forget that, here's the toxicity of that chemical - Acute Carcinogen, Cholinesterase Inhibitor, Ground Water Contaminant, Developmental or Reproductive Toxin, Endocrine Disruptor. Gerry you have had your PM warning. Cease posting drivel to this forum.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Note he was speaking of leaves that have been infected by "pets." That sounds cruel to me.

Luckily the original post came from last fall. That leaf is long gone.

But I would like to caution everyone posting to this pests and disease forum.

PLEASE be certain you know whereof you speak. Don't suggest "cures" you have only read about on line somewhere, or even in a bonsai book (many older ones of which recommend soaking the odd cigarette in water and using that -- which can be quite dangerous to YOU!!!!!!!!). The older books recommend pesticides that are off the market or very dangerous to the uninitiated to the use of poisons.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down