Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tinyroots Tools

3 posters

Go down

Tinyroots Tools Empty Tinyroots Tools

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I have a friend who give me a gift certificate at bonsaimonk.com every year.
This year I used the certificate to buy a Tinyroots stainless large handle bonsai shear.
The tool came today. (48 hour service, GA to FL by UPS)
The bamboo box is a nice but probably impractical touch for the serious bonsai person. As a gift it would take it up a notch. The Bamboo box could be burned with a wood burning set to make an award, (if someone had that talent) or a small metal plate could be engraved and affixed to the top.
The box contains a fitted plastic liner and a rolled up belt holster for the shear. While the belt holster might work, because of the plastic it contains I would not leave a tool in it. I think the holster would trap too much moisture even for a stainless tool.
I have not tried the tool yet, maybe tomorrow.
But, on examination it looks and feels Chinese made. I asked my wife her feeling and she also said Chinese, before I expressed my opinion.
Why Chinese? Well the finish is a little rough in spots and the tool feels heavier that a comparable Japanese tool (I have one or two, same size and design.)
So, first evaluation, without field use. 1. It would make a great gift or award. 2. The holster is of limited and possible damaging use. 3. Chinese manufacture.
But, if 20 to 30% cheaper than a comparable Japanese tool, the buyer will need to decide.
I will follow this up once I have used the tool on a few trees.
Used the tool a little today, maybe not as sharp as a Japanese tool out of the box, but cut fine. On a positive note the heavier weight means it doesn't twist if you cut stems that are a little too thick.
Billy

Last edited by Billy M. Rhodes on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated information)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Tinyroots Tools Empty Re: Tinyroots Tools

Post  Hoo Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Any follow-up thoughts, Jim? I have a set of concave cutters as well as their long handle shears that I like very much. Have a good feel and seem to be holding up well. I was considering buying a smaller set of shears as well as some trunk splitters.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 pm

"Jim" who?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Whoops. Had just read a post of yours in another thread. Meant Billy.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 pm

I used it that one day, put it back in the box and shelved it with my commerative pots for now. I already have a comparable Stainless Japanese Tool. that I use daily.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down