Tinyroots Tools

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tinyroots Tools

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:17 pm

I have a friend who give me a gift certificate at bonsaimonk.com every year.
This year I used the certificate to buy a Tinyroots stainless large handle bonsai shear.
The tool came today. (48 hour service, GA to FL by UPS)
The bamboo box is a nice but probably impractical touch for the serious bonsai person. As a gift it would take it up a notch. The Bamboo box could be burned with a wood burning set to make an award, (if someone had that talent) or a small metal plate could be engraved and affixed to the top.
The box contains a fitted plastic liner and a rolled up belt holster for the shear. While the belt holster might work, because of the plastic it contains I would not leave a tool in it. I think the holster would trap too much moisture even for a stainless tool.
I have not tried the tool yet, maybe tomorrow.
But, on examination it looks and feels Chinese made. I asked my wife her feeling and she also said Chinese, before I expressed my opinion.
Why Chinese? Well the finish is a little rough in spots and the tool feels heavier that a comparable Japanese tool (I have one or two, same size and design.)
So, first evaluation, without field use. 1. It would make a great gift or award. 2. The holster is of limited and possible damaging use. 3. Chinese manufacture.
But, if 20 to 30% cheaper than a comparable Japanese tool, the buyer will need to decide.
I will follow this up once I have used the tool on a few trees.
Used the tool a little today, maybe not as sharp as a Japanese tool out of the box, but cut fine. On a positive note the heavier weight means it doesn't twist if you cut stems that are a little too thick.
Billy

Last edited by Billy M. Rhodes on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated information)

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Re: Tinyroots Tools

Post  Hoo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Any follow-up thoughts, Jim? I have a set of concave cutters as well as their long handle shears that I like very much. Have a good feel and seem to be holding up well. I was considering buying a smaller set of shears as well as some trunk splitters.

Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:07 pm

"Jim" who?

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Whoops. Had just read a post of yours in another thread. Meant Billy.

Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:38 pm

I used it that one day, put it back in the box and shelved it with my commerative pots for now. I already have a comparable Stainless Japanese Tool. that I use daily.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum