Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pear air layering

3 posters

Go down

Pear air layering Empty Pear air layering

Post  colin mackness Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:19 pm

I have a medium size pear bonsai,the surface roots were unsitely.It has a main trunk approx.1.1/2"-2" thick.I tried air layering using moss/clingfilm method last year. I wasn't sure when checking the progress(possible impatience) whether anything regarding new roots was happening,although it did appear promising.Instead of recovering with clingfilm I cut a 7" plastic plantpot and surrounded the area,filling it with bonsai compost.My question is,If there are any new roots forming will they need more protection during Jan/Feb/March.I have the tree in a large trainer pot.
Colin

colin mackness

Back to top Go down

Pear air layering Empty Re: Pear air layering

Post  Just Mike Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:14 am

short answer is yes, they will need protection (IF there are even roots forming)...buuuut...if there are roots forming, even if you dont protect them and the fresh roots end up dieing, the pocess starts itself over in the spring anyway...you could put bubble wrap around the pot being used to airlayer...that would help insulate it from the cold...it deffinately wouldnt hurt since things root best in warmer soil anyway, so i would leave it on through the spring as well...

just my opinion...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:34 am

If there are no roots now, there will not be any until after the tree has leafed out. Rooting is driven by the sugars and auxins, produced by the foliage, piling up at the top of the girdle. Hence, if there are no roots now, there is nothing to worry about other than the trees present roots.
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Pear air layering Empty Pear air layering

Post  colin mackness Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks guys.I have actually sneeked a look today,without disturbing anything inside the pot,and it really does look promising,definitely some rooting.I like that idea of the bubble-wrap "jacket",I'll give it a few layers.Will probably have a closer look March/April time then decide whether I leave it another growing season before separating.I will try to get a picture posted.

colin mackness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down